cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring an image

jim_Grimmer
Level 4
My boss has assigned me the near impossible task of :
using B.E. to restore an image from a dell poweredge 1150 to a dell poweredge 2850. he basically wants me to redirect the file output to the new dell 2850
or he would like me to use the idr process to restore the image to the new 2850. i need to know if this is possible and how to make it work. so far:

If you boot from the dell CD to try and use the IDR CD to raw restore the machine, the dell CD will not recognize it as a valid win2k3 CD. If you boot from the IDR CD directly it will find no hardrives (I believe this is due to the raid driver but I could be wrong). If I install win 2k3 server, load the B.E. agent and try to restore the image to DB002 the O.S. fails to boot with the error:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as:

�Load needed dll�s for kernel�

Please contact your support person to report this problem

ok who is the guru that can make this work ?
7 REPLIES 7

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Jim,

Step one with any Veritas problem is to throw away your crappy IDR CD, and any license you may have for the option whilst you're at it.

Now that you've got some decent software:

- Install a base WIndows 2003 install, using same PC name
- Install SP1
- Install BE
- Install BE SP4a
- Inventory, catalogue and restore your C: and System State
- Boot in safe mode, go to the device manager and remove all old non-existant hardware. You will need to set the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 variable for this.
- Install your new NICs
- Bootup and install any manufacturer specific drivers or hardware related software
- Reboot
- Restore your data

As long as the HAL is identical between these servers, you should be fine. Unfortunately if you are going from an MP to UP PC, you will have further complications.

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
The most important thing to consider is the Raid Controller.
Are they similiar? I think the 2800 will be a Perc 4 controller but not sure about the 1150!

In relation to the error you got in relation to "load dll's":
Check if the 1150 server was upgraded from 2k to 2k3.
If it was it is possible that youre installation Directory for windows will be WINNT not Windows. This will cause this error.

So basically. When you load windows 2003 you are probably taking the Default install folder: Windows instead of Winnt.

Check the windows installation Directory on the 1150.

Gilly

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello Jim,

Make sure that hardawre is same in this case.

In the event of a disaster that requires the replacement of the entire computer or a specific piece of hardware, the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows NT and Windows 2000 Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) option can be used to restore a full backup to the point where Windows NT/2000 is up and running, excluding the installation of any device drivers that may need to be updated or reconfigured to support the new hardware.

There are specific limitations that should be known before an attempt to restore a full system backup to a computer with different hardware is attempted:

Restoration to a computer with more or less processors than the original computer is not supported (i.e. Dual processor to Quad processor or Dual processor to Single processor).
Restoration to a computer of a different platform (CPU) than the original computer is not supported (i.e. Intel to Alpha).
Only the Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) controllers that are installed and configured before the graphical portion of the IDR process can be used to restore during the recovery process (see Related Documents for more information). To add original equipment manufacturer (OEM) third party SCSI drivers (that are not present on a standard Windows NT CD), select Custom Setup instead of Express Setup in the text portion of the IDR process and add the driver manually.
If SCSI device drivers are used that rely on later service pack revisions to function, they may not work properly when installed during the IDR process, since the IDR process is based on the Windows NT CD that was used when the IDR diskettes were created. In most cases, the Windows NT CD either had Windows NT/2000 Service Pack 1 or no service pack incorporated on it.
If the video hardware differs, IDR will not attempt to install new video drivers. Instead, the restored NT/2000 operating system will boot into Video Graphics Array (VGA) compatibility mode. Once booted, a new video driver will have to be installed manually.
Although networking support is installed for Remote IDR, network interface drivers will not be moved into the restored NT/2000 operating system. If the network interface hardware has changed, the old network interface card (NIC) drivers will have to be uninstalled via the Control Panel | Network icon, and new device drivers installed (see Related Documents for more information).
Any third party device drivers that are installed at the time of backup may fail during the IDR process if the new hardware does not support them. The offending drivers will have to be removed manually from the restored Windows NT/2000 installation, once it is operational.

This information is only to be used as a reference for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 disaster recovery. The Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000.

Intelligent Disaster Recovery option is not supported as a PC cloning utility for the duplication of systems. In addition, the Intelligent Disaster Recovery procedure is limited by any limitations of the Windows NT/2000 operating system.

Thank you,

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Once again, Deepali fails to read the question, and does a cut + paste of a large and irrelevant block of text.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to:

After performing an Intelligent Disaster Recovery on a server with Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 applied, the server fails to start with the error "load needed DLLs for Kernel".

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276524

Is Service Pack 4a installed on the media server?

Make sure that the Remote Agent is updated on the remote servers as well after you have installed Service Pack 4a on the media server.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/280008

Regards
Padmaja

jim_Grimmer
Level 4
thank you to every one who replied. you have all made great points and i am working through your advice.i will let you know how things go.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Jim,

Please do keep us updated on this!