cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

script pre-freeze-script.bat with Hyper-V

Costa_Gustavo
Level 4

Hello forum, I need your sugestion. In VMWARE infrastructure if I have to run a script before to take backup with BE 2012 I need to run a C:\Windows\pre-freeze-script.bat.

If I need to run the same script but on VM that running on HYPER-V server, How can I do this?

Thanks

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think you can

The pre-freeze-script.bat system during VMware backups is actually a function of how a VMware snapshot request interacts with the VMware tools installed inside the VM itself, and as such it is function Backup Exec uses, but not a function Backup Exec provides. To achieve the same thing in Hyper-V, Microsoft would have to provide a link via their own virtual machine support tools and backup API.

Closest thing I can suggest is use the Task scheduler inside the VM to set something to kick off before the backup starts and then have another task resetting those changes that is timed to run a reasonable time after you know the backup should have finishes. A possibe other option (which would involved some form of remote scripting) is to set pre- and post commands to run on the media server itself and have these commands do some form of remote execution against the VMs. Note you cannot set pre- and post- to run on the VMs themselves as that only works for standard remote agnet backup requests and not virtual agents

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think you can

The pre-freeze-script.bat system during VMware backups is actually a function of how a VMware snapshot request interacts with the VMware tools installed inside the VM itself, and as such it is function Backup Exec uses, but not a function Backup Exec provides. To achieve the same thing in Hyper-V, Microsoft would have to provide a link via their own virtual machine support tools and backup API.

Closest thing I can suggest is use the Task scheduler inside the VM to set something to kick off before the backup starts and then have another task resetting those changes that is timed to run a reasonable time after you know the backup should have finishes. A possibe other option (which would involved some form of remote scripting) is to set pre- and post commands to run on the media server itself and have these commands do some form of remote execution against the VMs. Note you cannot set pre- and post- to run on the VMs themselves as that only works for standard remote agnet backup requests and not virtual agents