cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

showing error in job monitor: READY: no idle devices are avalaible

Steven_Balderra
Level 3
Hey guys, sorry if I am in the wrong forum, however this is close to my problem, but then again, it could be software...

I scheduled a number of jobs, that went fine for some days. Then, one day, I did not receive notification from two jobs. I went to check, and got a "Ready; No idle devices are available" status for those two jobs, the other were"'Running", although I did receive a "Success" notification. I left that for a day, but it did not go away. The only thing that got BEX10 to do it's job again (that I know of) was to reboot. Then those jobs that were "Running" went to "Failed", the other two started running.
About a week later, now, two days in a row, again I get a "Ready; No idle devices are available" status of two jobs. Again, rebooting seems to start BEX again.
What is happening ? I don't believe that rebooting is the right way to solve this, but how?
Also I went to the veritas website, downloaded updates, but nothing worked, still the same READY; no idle devices any avaliable. Also I have tried enabling, disabling, then remove both IBM ultrium tape drives from devices tab from the veritas, going into the insthardware.exe then installing the device again... but still the error keep coming back... any ideas? thanks guys.

PS. we are using 2 IBM ultrium-TD3 tape drive that pulls tapes (holds 60) from a spectra logic T120. we have a Microsoft Exchange server (network) hope this helps... please help, thanks guys again.
4 REPLIES 4

Steven_Balderra
Level 3
any ideas? suggestions? technical support?

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Refer to following technote in this regard:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277592

Check if a tape on which the backup can run is available, sometimes a tape which is overwrite protected will be ejected and the backup will hang with the error.

Do you receive any event ids (system and application) in windows event viewer?

Thanks,

Bobby_Torres
Level 3
In addition, when you get the "Ready; No idle devices are available" errors, do you have any outstanding alerts? Maybe like Media Insert or Library Insert?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

Regards,