cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sluggish interface BackupExec 2010

MichaelY
Level 3

The user interface within Backup Exec 2010 is extremely slow when I click on new job backup. I got out my stop watch to find out how long I was having to wait for the Backup Job Properties window to pop up... 105 seconds (nearly 2 minutes).

This is Backup Exec 2010 ver 13.0.2896 (64bit).  The server is a freshly installed Windows 2008 R2 on an HP ProLiant 360g5 physical server.  It’s got 16gb RAM, a 1gb nic (soon to be a teamed pair of 1gb nics).  It’s got dual 2.83 GHz Intel Xeon processors.  Every piece of firmware is as up to date as it can be as are the drivers.

My Backup Exec 12.5 (32bit) server on Windows 2003 R2 (32bit) (same model of server but only 4gb RAM and slightly slower processors) only takes 1.5 seconds at its slowest to bring up the same window.

The processors are 99% idle during this wait and the nic shows 0% utilization nearly the whole time as well.  The only thing I see in the Event Viewer is the EventID 4672 in the security log - "Special privileges assigned to new logon".  This happens every time I hit new job backup.

This delay doesn't happen for everything though.  When I hit new job restore, it only takes about a second.  Also, once the new backup job window pops up, the interface is pretty snappy with the only other delay I can find happening during a test credentials click.

The OS itself seems to transact with our domain controllers as fast as any of our other servers.  For example, I can go into Active Directory Users and Computers and navigate around and make changes without any problems or sluggishness. 

It’s just within Backup Exec I'm seeing these delays.  Anyone else experiencing these issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichaelY
Level 3
Step 2 of this Doc resolved my problems. 

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306552.htm

Don't know why it didn't dawn on my to check the AV yesterday.  blush

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
I had this same issue..  I had to reinstall BE to fix it.  Not saying that will fix it for you, but it did for me.

I'm thinking there must be some sort of COM object or other permission setting somewhere buried in the OS that is causing this delay, and you are pretty much waiting for a timeout.

I'd suggest opening a support case for a real root cause analysis, or down grade to Win2k3 64bit or non-R2 Win2k8 which doesn't seem to exhibit these symptoms..  Or at least seems less susceptible if anything...

MichaelY
Level 3
Clicking on new job backup takes nearly 2 minutes.  Browsing my SharePoint farm took 10 minutes.  Unacceptable.

However, I woke up this morning with an idea.  I came in and disabled the Symantec Endpoint 11.0.6 services and rebooted the server. 

My new job creating takes only 15 seconds and browsing my SharePoint farm only takes 30 seconds.  This is still not as fast as my old Backup Exec 12.5 (32bit) servers, but its a huge step in the right direction.

Now my only question is who do I complain to?  The Backup Exec team or the EndPoint team?

MichaelY
Level 3
Step 2 of this Doc resolved my problems. 

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306552.htm

Don't know why it didn't dawn on my to check the AV yesterday.  blush

prashantm13
Level 3
THANKS