cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape drive goes offline in second backup

Lamas
Level 2
hello guys

I have a big problem. First i have symantec backup exec 2010. I have mixed backup ( to  hard-disk and autoloader).

When i launch one job to autoloader job is success but when i trying to launch another job to autoloader , tape drive goes offline, always in second backup. When tape drive goes offline i am restart all BE services for tape drive goes online in addition to if i restart all services betwen one backup and second backup job end successfully.

I phoned to dell ( My autoloader is Pv 124T LTO4) and i used dell utility to check healt of mu autoloader and all test is succesfull .

Operating System: Windows 2008 Sp2
BE: 2010 ( I migrate backup exec 12.5 to 2010 but the problem not solved)
Tape: Dell pv 124t LTO4 SAS 120

I've spoken to Symantec technical support and has to be something or the backup system or not it's very clear. Updates the version of 12.5 to 2010 to see if that solves the problem .

Has anyone had the same problem?

thank you very much and sorry for my english
17 REPLIES 17

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Lamas,

Have you ran any utilities against that drive to make sure that there are no hardware issues?
What errors do you get in the Alerts tab? Is BEWS 2010 also patchd with the latest patches available? I see there is a new 1 out...

Laters!

Lamas
Level 2
hello good morning

I've been testing with software called zpump s Free and backup worked properly what I need to try some different software is to see if the library is that this software tested to work I have to manually load the drive.

I tested the tool with me the day xtalk dell to test the library and the tests also do well.

I have also tried to change drivers and everything and nothing

It really does not give errors in the alerts table just says that the drive is offline but does not give any ruling.

Symantec Currently In analyzing my log and all that but I would welcome any suggestions

CraigV
Hey man,

Have you looke at the usual:

1. Checked for hardware errors in the Event Viewer and physicall on the library?
2. Flashed the firmware with the latest available?
3. SCSI LUN ID is correct
4. Updated drivers for the SAS/SCSI card that it attaches too.
5. Make sure it is not attaching to the same controller as drives.

Laters!

Lamas
Level 2
Hello Man

1º I have update all firmware ( Autoloader, medium charger, SCSI card)

2º I dont have error in display of library but mi error log in windows id

EVENT ID: 34114

Work was canceled because he has responded by canceling a support request alert because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel or because it has stopped the job engine service Backup Exec.

EVENT ID: 58053

The changer hardware is offline.

Ensure that the changer hardware is powered on and cables connected properly.

3º SCSI LUN IS OK

4º And controller of drive is the microsoft controller

The truth is I do not NEED very well. Continues to fail the second task of the first ever released. With party software works great

Thank you very much

A greeting

CraigV
Mmm...might be time to log the call with Symantec, and post their solution here...

Lamas
Level 2
Hello

I am in contact with symantec and I see that the impact is being stretched so I have been in touch with the forum to see if anyone has had a similar experience right now I'm doing the backup with scripts and stop on the launch services before the job to tape.

Did not occur to anybody a possible solution

Thanks

rkw
Level 3
Lamas, did you resolve this issue?

I have the exact same configuration and almost the same problem.

Backup to Tape 1st Job - ok.
Backup to Tape 2nd Job - immediately goes offline.

I've done all the following above and it checks out just fine.  All updated to the latest in BE2010 (upgraded just like you from 12.5).  Drivers - I've tried the latest from Quantum and have tried the Symantec drivers.  Neither fix the issue.

I have only worked around this issue by running scripts, similar to yours, which restart BE services.

rbrumm
Level 3

I have the same problem. Worked with Quantum to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem and they don't think it is. I just submitted a ticket with Symantec. I have a Quantum Ultrium 4 SAS drive. BE 2010.

rbrumm
Level 3
Symantec has been very repsonsive working on my problem but we haven't found a solution yet. I installed a competitor's product and it seems to work fine with that drive. Symantec is still leaning on blaming the drive but we'll see...

fginacio
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I have the same problem. I have also a ticket open at symantec support  (Case # 412-xxx-xxx) and until now the engineer ask me about the HW issue.
I have been replaced all SCSI chain (controller, cables and PV) twice and the same issue occur.

My question for Symantec, Do you suspect the hardware issue yet?

I need solution!!! No workaround.

Alistairc
Level 3
I have this exact same problem.  Running BE2010 Trial on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.  Hardware is Dell R710 rack server, connected to a HP Ultrium 1760 LTO4 SAS drive via a Dell PERC 6/E SAS Adaptor card.

This is what’s happening:
  1. Setup and run a backup job with full verify.  I’ve tested up to a 250GB job and it completes fine the first time around.
  2. After completion of first job, rerun the same backup job (after tweaking the media overwrite/append etc settings)
  3. The job immediately fails, reporting the drive as offline – cannot bring drive back online using BackupExec administrator
  4. Close BackupExec administrator, restart BackupExec Device/Media service (which also restarts associated service dependencies).
  5. Re-open BackupExec administrator - drive appears to be online again, ready for another job to be kicked off.

I’ve completely replaced:
  • Numerous LTO tapes
  • The Dell SAS adaptor that connects the Dell server to the HP rack chassis
  • The HP Rack chassis that houses the 1U internal HP LTO4 Ultrium 1760 SAS drive, SAS adaptor board and all
  • The internal HP LTO Ultrium 1760 drive itself

We’ve verified that all above component drivers and firmware are fully up to date.  This problem occurs with both Symantec Tape Drive drivers and HP's official LTO4 tape drivers,

To me, the following facts suggest that the problem lies with BackupExec itself:
  1. After the drive goes offline, a simple restart of the BackupExec services seems to bring it back online again
  2. If the drive goes offline, and I stop the BackupExec Device/Media service, I can still access the drive using HP LTT utility, and HP Data Protector Express – only BackupExec detects the drive as offline.
  3. We’ve replaced all possible hardware components and the problem still remains
  4. This problem only ever occurs with BE, I'm testing with HP Data Proctector Express and MS's Data Protection Manager - all work fine.

Has anyone come across a solution to this yet??

Thanks,
Alistair

CraigV
Hi Alistair,

Best thing to do here is open a new forum query...this 1 is dead. The user never bothered to reply on whether or not it was solved!

Alistairc
Level 3
Hi Craig,
Fair point, frustrating when all goes silent!

Reopened here:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backupexec-2010-dropping-tape-drive-offline

C
heers,
Alistair

MTL
Level 2

We have a new HP ML360 G6 server running RAID 5 over 4 2.5 SAS drives. The tape drive is a HP ultriam 1840 SAS running on a separate SAS HP E200i controller. The Server is running SBS 2008 (64 bit) with 16gig's of ram and no Hyper-V.

I'm experiencing the same issue, and it all started when live update updated BE 2010. After reviewing HP Array configuration utility, the only warning is that the on board cache isn't configured; which isn't configurable without drives attached. outside of that all test and diagnostics checked out fine.

I'm looking for answers too.

MTL

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

re: The tape drive is a HP ultriam 1840 SAS running on a separate SAS HP E200i controller.

Is that a RAID controller?  If so, it appears to be unsupported, which matches the final resolution in https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backupexec-2010-dropping-tape-drive-offline

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

PS Please start new threads, rather than creating consuion with old threads.

MTL
Level 2

the drive and controller are both on the hardware compatibility list. 

CraigV

Guys,

Please open a new forum query around this. This particular topic has gone dead...if Larry assists with the solution for MTL, there is no way he gets the credit or the points!

Craig