cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape is in but it coming up as empty

madlalan
Level 4

I need help. Just upgraded my OS from 2003 to 2008 and the server was using Backup Exec 11d and now have upgraded to 2010 R3 SP3.

the tape drive is HP LTO ultrium-2  (hp ultrium 2-scsi),  have done evrything but it just wont detect the tape even though it in the drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

HP LTT will tell you pretty quickly whether or not there are issues with that drive.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you confirmed this tape drive is supported under the 2010 R3's HCL ?

HCL - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050

What happens when you run an inventory of the drive ?

Is the tape drive detected properly in the Device Manager ? If yes, is it using Symantec driver ?

CraigV

...I've used the LTO2 drives from HP in the HP StorageWorks 1/8 G1 & G2 autoloaders so that should be supported as a stand-alone drive.

Things to look for are:

1. Download HP Library and Tape Tools and upgrade the firmware on the drive. Might be that a firmware upgrade is required with the new system. Also make sure the firmware on the SCSI card is upgraded too.

2. Make sure that the  you are using the Symantec drivers for the drive...run tapeinst.exe to install them.

Thanks!

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please also follow this

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

madlalan
Level 4

Vj:  i have checked the list and it is supported.. when i run an inventory it comes up as succesful but says no drive empty.  on device manager it does come up and it does show that it has installed Symantec drivers.

Craig: i'll try option 1 but it does say it using  Symantec drivers

Kunal:  i'll check the link out

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does this affect just one specific tape or all/any tapes ? If for all tapes, consider deleting the tape drive from Backup Exec. Restart the Backup Exec services for the tape drive to be re-detected and then run an inventory again.

Any errors under event viewer - system logs ?

madlalan
Level 4

I tested most tapes and it doing the same thing, have checked the logs and theres nothing there about the tape drive.  Im currently running the Backup exec tool to check for any errors when thats done i'll delete the drive and restart the services and see if that fixes it.

CraigV

...stop the BE services and put the tape into the drive. Open up LTT and check to see that it shows up there! If not, run the diagnostics to rule out a hardware error. I saw someone else who, after upgrading to a newer version of BE, had hardware failure. Initial indications pointed to BE when it wasn't.

Thanks!

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Here is another doc to glance over.. Its long but may touch on something being missed 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

madlalan
Level 4

thank you guys, i have gone onsite and what they didnt tell me was that the tape doesnt stay in the drive it keeps popping out.  will take a cleaning tape, clean it and test if that fixes it.

CraigV

...BE will pop up a message requesting that the tape drive be cleaned if this is an autoloader/library. If it is a stand-alone drive, the drive will display a light on the front of the unit indicating it needs cleaning.

If a tape ejects it could mean that it is not overwritable/appendable and you'd need to look at your media set settings too.

Thanks!

madlalan
Level 4

The problem was i wasnt onsite and working remotely. I have tested with another tape drive and it working fine and the tapes too so i'll check the tape drive and maybe replace it..

CraigV

HP LTT will tell you pretty quickly whether or not there are issues with that drive.

Thanks!

madlalan
Level 4

thanks Craigwink