cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape jammed

Edhy
Level 2

Hallo every body.

We use backup exec symantec 2010. Now i got a problem. I want to change the daily tape, but i can not eject the library. There is a sign tape Jammed, type DF. The question are: 1. what the meaning of this? 2. How to solve it? 3. all the slot give sign empy, but it is not empty. Since that happed i can not make back up anymore. Please help, it urgen. My email is : fesudiyono@mendelcollege.nl.

Please help me it is urgent!

Edhy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...depending on your brand of tape library, you would, or should. get a vendor diagnostic utility. HP has HP Library and Tape Tools for instance.

You would get a stuck tape test that forceably tries to eject a tape stuck in a drive. See what your library manufacturer's diagnostic utility states.

You're also able to manually remove a tape...just Google how to do so for your model of library. I've done fo on both an HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 autoloader with an LTO3 drive installed, and an HP StorageWorks MSL2024 G3 with an LTO4 drive in.

This isn't a Symantec Backup Exec issue.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Connect to the library using the Web interface and see whether you can return the tape to a slot. If you cannot do so then you need to connect your tape library vendor and get an engineer to remove the tape for you. It is highly probable that your tape drive is a write-off and needs to be replaced

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...depending on your brand of tape library, you would, or should. get a vendor diagnostic utility. HP has HP Library and Tape Tools for instance.

You would get a stuck tape test that forceably tries to eject a tape stuck in a drive. See what your library manufacturer's diagnostic utility states.

You're also able to manually remove a tape...just Google how to do so for your model of library. I've done fo on both an HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 autoloader with an LTO3 drive installed, and an HP StorageWorks MSL2024 G3 with an LTO4 drive in.

This isn't a Symantec Backup Exec issue.

Thanks!

Edhy
Level 2

P.S. All the slot say empty, but it is not.

Before, i can open de left magazine until slot1,2,3 and 4 then stuck in slot 5. I try the same prosedure  and again stuck at slot 5(empty). But now all slot says empty.

i go to web interface and try to connect  to the library.

Then i tried moving tape from slot 5 to drive and i got pop up  CAN'T COMPLETE MOVE: System Error

Please help me.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As per previous advice, library move errors like this usually relate to the hardware and possibly a tape stuck in the tape drive (tape leader ripped off etc)

You cannot troubleshoot with Backup Exec to understand the cause of this scenario you have to look the software tools provided by the hardware vendor. If you also cannot achieve the move or test operations with the hardware vendor's software tools then you will need a hardware engineer in to fully analyze the problem.

Edhy
Level 2

Thanks guys, finally we can open de tape library and change with new tape for this week. Because we can not make august month back up, so try to do it today. After i got about 30 minutes, i got pop up saying:

Job ended: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 10:02:23 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

After a while this pop up:

The drive hardware is offline.

Please confirm that the drive hardware is powered on and properly cabled.

The question is: anyone know how to solve it? I am in urgent need help!

Regard,

Edhy

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Have you had your tape library checked out by the tape library vendor?