cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to attach to one the drives

Level 2
Our server is a window 2000 SPK 4. Backup version: 9.1 with SQL agent. No Exchange. Backup was runnig fine till last Dec. Then it started actting up, for last month i have been playing with this.
I have checked the support files, but still can figure this out. Backup runs with no errors if run from job monitor manually. But the same job scheduled to run after hrs. (10:pm) would fail. Veritas say it is user permission problem. What I do not understand is how it run manually (run now option), but it would fail if it run later at night. Any how the account used is the same (the same account use for past 3 years). I have checked the BK data base for corroption and went as far as reinstalling the BackupExec (with all new updates). This is an ongoing problem. I tried different logon account some times it would run for few days and then fails again.
I get different errors
Unable to attach to one of the drives
Access denied
But Unable to attach to one the drives is most recent one.
Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
In most cases "Scheduled backups failing" are resolved by deleting and re-create the job. It seems in your case you have gone to the extent of RE-INSTALLING the software so i guess you had to create a new job and that did not resolved as well? Is that correct?

With respect to unable to attach error, its very generic error and therefore will have to look at the logs.

What i can suggest you right now is patch the media server with SP1 incase you have not done that yet.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 1.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267180

Level 2
Thanks for reply.
Yes I have reinstalled the software and up dates including the service pk you mentioned. Still no good schedule backup. It would bcak up drive C (primary), drive E (main Storage), Utility partition and system state all have errors:

Utility partition has this error
"Access denied to directory Utility partition on disk 0\.
Directory \\server1\\utility partition on disk 0\ was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up."

System State has this error
"Access denied to directory COM + Class Registration Database\.
Directory \\server1\system?state \ COM + Class Registration Database\ was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
The system state file could not be backup.
Access denied to directory Registry\.
Access denied to directory SYSVOL\."

And finally the E( Data storage drive), has this error repeated for all directories to be backed up.
"Directory Not Found"

With all these errors still if run the job manually it would run fine with few exceptions that are normal.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.
1. Repair database
2. Reload from base
3. Repair install

NOTE: Please verify the results after each step.
Refer the following documentation on how to perform each of the above mentioned step.
Title:
How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Title:
Repairing Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply