cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to backup a driver file in system state

Vishal_Dutta
Level 4
Hello, Im getting the error "Unable to open the item \\SERVERNAME\System?State\Boot Files\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\drivers\atapi.sys - skipped."

This seems to be a part of the system state backup process. This does not seem to be happening all the time. The remote server is running win2k/sp4, the account being used is administrator, and the account is a member of the local admins.
7 REPLIES 7

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Are you using the Advanced open file option during backup? Refer to the steps below:

1) Try to Backup System State via NT backup. ( Stop all the Backup Exec services while performing NT backup ). Revert with the result of the same with NT job log.
2) If this server is not hosting any mission critical databases or if this is not a production server, you can re-boot the system and then try to Backup System State via Backup Exec. Revert with the results.
3) Also for test purpose, stop the Anti virus service on the remote server during backup and test the results.

We hope this helps.If issue persists, do update with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Vishal_Dutta
Level 4
No I am not using AOFO. should I be using AOFO for these driver files?? Thanks

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec may not be able to backup this file if some other application is already accessing it. If so, make sure that Backup Exec has full control to the file to be backed up and then run the backup job.
For test purposes shut down all the third party softwares and Antivirus services running in the background.
Try running the backup of system state only and verify the results.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thanks,

Vishal_Dutta
Level 4
Thanks, no Antivirus running, 3rd party software not installed.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

The question regarding AOFO was to have additional details about the problem. You need not be using AOFO for the driver files.
Have you followed the steps suggested earlier:
What are the results of NTbackup? Did you also test after rebooting the server?

If yes, do update.Also check for errors in the Windows event logs :application and system.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Vishal_Dutta
Level 4
I tried after a reboot and that did not work, I will try to give ntbackup a shot tonight

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Alright, try with NT backup and revert with the results.
Awaiting your update on the same.

Regards.