cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updating catalogs on duplicate job to tape (v12.5

PrimalGeoff
Not applicable
In order to fully utilise  GRT and be able to restore individual mailbox items from Exchange 2003, I understand I am required to do a backup-to-disk, as this feature is not fully supported on backup-to-tape. Could anyone please confirm?

I have read the following support document, http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294957.htm, which discusses the issues with mounting the exchange database and the differences in how Exchange data is backed up via disk or tape.
The article suggests as a workaround as follows
Currently the only workaround available are to backup to disk and then duplicate the job to tape.

I have created this very set-up, so that the disk job is duplicated to tape. The job to disk works fine, but on the job duplicating to tape, the 'updating catalogs' stage takes a very long time (50+ hours), so long in fact that I have had to cancel the job, so this has never worked for me.

Does anyone know what is going wrong here or are there any workarounds that will work?

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

UKRonaldo
Level 3
I've encountered this issue before and was told by Symantec support that when disk job is duplicated to tape Backup Exec has to catalog everything (this isn't done when Exchange is backed up to disk). If you use fast SAS or SCSI disks to store your backup to disk job you'll probably see improvement in duplicating the job to tape.

Shazad