cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from ver 8.0 to 11d

arjuk
Level 2
The quick installation guide on the 11d CD says that I can migrate my existing catalogues and data to  11d.
However documents on the support site says there is no upgrade path from version 8 ..i have to completely uninstall it!

Which one is correct??

Cheers
AJ
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
From the quick install guide:
This version of Backup Exec for Windows Servers replaces any previous versions. No
separate migration or upgrade utility is necessary. Most settings and all catalogs and
data directories from previous versions of Backup Exec are kept (for example, when the
TSM option adds registry settings). At the end of the installation, the upgrade process is
summarized. Only Backup Exec version 9.x and later can be migrated to this release.

You can follow the steps listed in the support document from your previous thread to upgrade the catalogs or the steps on page 15 of the quick install guide.

arjuk
Level 2
OK, as I understand it ....
"this version ...replaces ANY previous versions"
"Most settings and all catalogues and data directories from previous versions are kept"

So I can install over my current version 8 and I will get the option to 'back up' existing catalogues and data
(page 15 of quick start guide)

When I run BE 11d will my catalogues and data be there? ready to use??

The last sentence about  'only backup 9.x and later can be migrated to this release' .. is confusing as it contradicts the start of the paragraph.

Cheers
Andy J

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From Ben's response

Only Backup Exec version 9.x and later can be migrated to this release

You can download and install 9.1  (in demo mode - no serials) and then update that to v11d with the serials that you have

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you can live with re-creating all your media sets and jobs,  you can migrate the catalog data only using
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/265163.htm