cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade to backup exec 2010 R3, now having trouble backing up using one of the tape drives

eth1
Level 2

i upgraded from backup exec 11d (all patches applied) to backup exec 2010 R3. i also have an adic scalar i500 with LTO3 drives with direct  fiber connection (2) to our netapp 3020. i also have an adic scalar 24 with LTO3 drives as well has one fiber connection going back to my backup exec server which is running windows server 2003 SP2 and the other fiber connection is going to our netapp r200. the i500 is functioning fine after the upgrade.  the scalar 24 is partially working.  when i looked before the upgrade in the devices tab i saw the following:

server1

--ADIC3 - SCALAR 24

----IBM7

----IBM8

----SLOTS

--ADIC4 - I500

-----IBM9

-----IBM10

-----SLOTS

---NETAPPSAN1 - ATTACHED TO I500

------ADIC4

---------IBM9

---------IBM10

---NETAPPSAN3 - ONE DRIVE CONNECTED TO SCALAR 24

AFTER THE UPGRADE:

in the devices tab i saw the following:

server1

--ADIC3 - SCALAR 24

------IBM7

------MISSING00001

------SLOTS

IBM11--APPEARS OUTSIDE THE ADIC3 TAPE LIBRARY

--ADIC4 - I500

--------IBM9

--------IBM10

--------SLOTS

---NETAPPSAN1 - ATTACHED TO I500

------ADIC4

---------IBM9

---------IBM10

---NETAPPSAN3 - ONE DRIVE CONNECTED TO SCALAR 24

------IBM11

IF I USE THE TOOLS>CONFIGURE DEVICES>CONFIGURE TAPE DEVICES OPTION I CAN MOVE THE IBM11 DRIVE INTO THE ADIC 3 (SCALAR 24 LIBRARY, BUT WHEN I DO THAT IT REMOVES IT FROM UNDER THE NETAPPSAN3 .  IF I LEAVE IT AS IS AND TRY TO RUN ONE OF MY BACKUPS THAT ARE DEDICATED TO THAT DRIVE IT JUST HANGS AND KEEPS PROMPTING FOR MEDIA EVEN THOUGH THERE IS MEDIA IN THE LIBRARY THAT IS WRITABLE.  WHEN I MOVE IBM11 INTO ADIC3, AND RUN A JOB, IT SAYS QUEUED BUT NEVER GOES ANY FARTHER. WHEN I LOOK IN THE DEVICES TAB UNDER THAT DRIVE IT SHOWS ITS IN USE BUT THERE IS NOT TAPE LOADED IN IT. I LET IT SIT FOR 10 MINUTES AND THE STATUS STILL DIDNT CHANGE.  IT APPEARS TO BE SOME ISSUE BETWEEN MY CONNECTION WITH THE ADIC SCALAR AND THE NETAPP APPLIANCE. MY OTHER TAPE DRIVE IBM7 WHICH IS PLUGGED INTO THE BACKUP EXEC SERVER IS SUCCESSFUL WITH RUNNING MY BACKUP POLICIES.

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE I AM HAVING AND HOPEFULLY STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you have 2 tape libraries with 2 tape drives each attached to your media server, do you have 2 additional LEO licences.

BTW, do not use capitals which means that you are shouting.  It is not polite.

eth1
Level 2

when i run the license assessment tool report it tells me i only have 1 LEO currently, 2 NDMP options, 1 SQL, 1 Exchange, have 12 RAWS, 1 media server.

i only have one tape library which is the Adic scalar 24, with one of the two drives attached to the media server.

physical fiber connection layout for all tape libraries, storage devices and media server:

Adic i500

netapp server1 has 2 direct connections to the adic i500. no connections to media server. use ndmp option to backup data.

Adic Scalar 24

has 1 connection from adic scalar 24 to netapp server3, use NDMP option to backup. (this is the one that is not working)

has 1 connection from adic scalar 24 to media server (this backup is working as expected)

sorry for the caps, was not shouting at anyone.

eth1
Level 2

bump....

can anyone shed some light on this?