cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use of BackupExec 9.1 AND BackupExec Remote Agent 12.5

mondry
Level 2
Hello,

I'm running BE 9.1 on a Windows Server 2003 and would rather like to have it protected by a remote server running BE 12.5 which has an attached tape library. Can I install the Remote Agent 12.5  on the WinServer 2003 without deinstalling its BE 9.1? I would like to keep the old version 9.1 for a while until I'm sure that everything is functioning well with the remote backup!

Any help appreciated.

Best regards,

André
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Try the following troubleshooting steps

1. Check that Backup Exec Remote Agent service is running on remote server
  2. Is backup server & remote serve are able to communicate using port 10,000? Use telnet to check that
  3. For other port requirements check in to beadmin guide
  4. Check for the windows authentication also
  5. Modify the host file on remote server and do the entery of backup server in it (this most probably will resolve the issue)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Can I install the Remote Agent 12.5 on the WinServer 2003 without deinstalling its BE 9.1?

Sorry, no

With  v9.0 and later,  ALL local access is via the "remote" agent, even on the media server, so if you are even able to install the v12 RA, it will break local backups

mondry
Level 2
Hello,

thanks - I deinstalled BE 9.1 and managed to push-install BE 12.5 Remote Agent to our server running Win2003 Server SP1 without problems. But then, neither the server itself nor its domain show up as resource when I want to make backup selections! I tried to add the server manually but it won't work (even though it said the server was successfully added).

At the moment, I can only backup user defined selections (but only directories with shares - other directories are not accessible).

I do not have any idea what might be wrong. Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S.:  I managed to back up several other servers (2003/2008) using the RA, so that there cannot be a basic problem of the BE-installation.

Regards,

André

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Try the following troubleshooting steps

1. Check that Backup Exec Remote Agent service is running on remote server
  2. Is backup server & remote serve are able to communicate using port 10,000? Use telnet to check that
  3. For other port requirements check in to beadmin guide
  4. Check for the windows authentication also
  5. Modify the host file on remote server and do the entery of backup server in it (this most probably will resolve the issue)

mondry
Level 2
Hello, thanks very much, the problem is solved:

There was not only a problem with port 10,000 - I mistyped one setting in the firewall configuration for the communication of the two servers (despite I checked them three times...)!!

Thanks again and best regards,

André