cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing queries

Myriad
Level 2
I'm starting a project to upgrade our server, and one of the things I have identified immediately, is the backup software may have issues.

We currently have Backup Exec 10.0 for Small Business Server, running on a a 32bit Windows 2003 SBS Server. We're planning on implementing a full 2008 Server (x64) for the new server, so will probably need to update this. I'm looking in our reseller site though for the software licenses and stuff, to work out what we need to prepare supporting documentation and i'm not sure what I need.. the descriptions aren't clear. I know 10.0 isn't available any more.. but if osmeone could review the following information and advise, or tell me where I could find more specific info, that'd be great...

I think I need the following:
Backup Exec 12.5 Server
Backup Exec 12.5 Remote Agent for Windows (x number of servers)
Backup Exec 12.5 Remote Agent for Linux (x number of servers)
Backup Exec 12.5 SQL agent. (Do I need this for both 2005 and 2008, or will the one license cover which ever version of SQL we run ?)
Is the SQL agent based on per SQL instance, or per server.
If i'm only backing up the SQL server from a remote server, do I ALSO need the RAFW or do I just need the SQL Agent ?
Backup Exec agent for Exchange 2007 (or 2003.. does the agent license depend on the version)
Intelligent Disaster REcovery - is there a new name for this now ?

Can I get upgrade licenses to go from 10.0 to 12.5 ?
thanks...

We'll be backing up to tape, and expect the central server to collect information from the remote servers and stream it off to tape..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi

First regarding SQL server licensing. SQL server licens is based on no. of SQL servers and not on instances. SQL 2005 or 2008 no maters, license will remain same. That means if u have 3 SQL servers, 2 SQL licenses will be required.

Coming back to other licensing

AD - Active Directory Agent (For Granular restoration of AD objects. This is not made for restoring entire AD)

SQL - Agent for SQL servers (License is based on per SQL server)

Backup Server - Backup Exec Server for Widows licens. It is also called as base server license

Exchange - Agent for Exchange server (License is based on per Exchange server. No mater if it is 2003 or 2007)

IDR - It is now in built with every remote agent

Remember 1 thing that all database agents comes along with remote agent. So no need to purchase remote agent separately. For additional file level remote server backup you will require additional remote agent.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As I understand...
1  : We have Backup Exec 10.0 for Small Business Server 2003
2  : We are planning to move to 12.5 on a new Server 2008 (NOT Server 2008 SBS)

We won't be able to upgrade 10.0 to 12.5

I would suggest you to perform a NEW/FRESH install of BE 12.5 on Server 2008 64-bit

About Licensing:
Could you please let me know the following for our new environment
1  : How many physical servers will be present.
2  : Also let me know the entire network setup if possible (Number of Physical servers and applications installed on them)

Example : Server1 : AD, SQL
                   Server2 : Backup Exec, Exchange...etc

Backup Exec 12.5 SQL agent. (Do I need this for both 2005 and 2008, or will the one license cover which ever version of SQL we run ?)
The License is per server based...If we have 3 SQL Servers we will require 3 SQL Licenses

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi

First regarding SQL server licensing. SQL server licens is based on no. of SQL servers and not on instances. SQL 2005 or 2008 no maters, license will remain same. That means if u have 3 SQL servers, 2 SQL licenses will be required.

Coming back to other licensing

AD - Active Directory Agent (For Granular restoration of AD objects. This is not made for restoring entire AD)

SQL - Agent for SQL servers (License is based on per SQL server)

Backup Server - Backup Exec Server for Widows licens. It is also called as base server license

Exchange - Agent for Exchange server (License is based on per Exchange server. No mater if it is 2003 or 2007)

IDR - It is now in built with every remote agent

Remember 1 thing that all database agents comes along with remote agent. So no need to purchase remote agent separately. For additional file level remote server backup you will require additional remote agent.