cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

version 11 Rev 7170

tedkilroy
Level 2
Hoping this is the right forum, I haven't used Backup Exec for 3.5 years. I have a server that is running 2 nightly backups policies (System State) and it is backing up to a folder on the same server that has Backup Exec installed (for now).

These two SS backup jobs are filling up the directory pretty quick. Presently they are blue colored font, as oppose to the black that all newer jobs show and start with IMG. I have just learn that by deleting them manually from the devices window, they will in fact give back some storage space.

There has to be a more automated way have having this done for me. Could it be as simple as a policy edit? Maximun # of backup sets per backup-to-disk file is set to 100.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
tape volumes or BKF files that appear in blue are overwritable  (they have exceeded the  OPP period)

IMG folders/files do not follow the standard retention rules.  They will not overwrite/reuse until the disk volume is full or until the disk space reserve has been met.

Also, you need to verify that from Tools\Options\Media Management you have selected either FULL or PARTIAL and that option to "Reuse overwriteable media in the targe media set before scratch media" rather than "Use scratch before reusable"

Symantec recommends using a dedicated volume for GRT backups because of this.  (ie GRT to one volume and standard B2D to another)