cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmware redirected restore not rename/multiple VMs

rpcblast
Level 4

I am testing a DR method, and I am curious about one thing:

Is it possible on a redirected restore of vmware to not rename the VMs, so you could restore multiple VMs in one restore job.  It let me create a job that restored 2 VMs redirected, but I havent finished it yet.  I am guessing that since I only put one name, I will have issues.  Is there a way around this, since in my situation they can keep the same name, since its a different(new) server.  Below is a little background on my setup

I have a single ESXI server(with Vcenter), running about 10 VMs(exchange sql etc).  I have nightly data backups, but am looking to do weekly or monthly VM backups, so in the event of a total DR situation(building fire, flood, etc), as long as I have a copy of the VM backups offsite, i can rebuild relatively quickly, as soon as I am able to purchase a replacement server.  On the drive(that would likely be in a safety deposit box), I will have an XP VM with backup exec(workstation), the install of vmware workstation, an ISO of ESXI, and of course, the VM backups,  I would install ESXI on the replacement server, open the backupexec workstation image on a PC, and restore the VMs via redirected restore. 

The data backups would be done by a backup exec VM running inside the ESXI box.  The one on the external drive is just a helper for DR purposes, and isnt the regular backup copy of BE.

3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

With renaming the virtual machine, you will only be able to redirect one virtual machine at a time.  If you are not renaming the virtual machine you should be able to restore more then one in the restore job.

rpcblast
Level 4

It didnt seem to let me do a redirected restore w/o renaming.  When i left the new name field blank, it errorred out saying I need to enter a name.  Is there a way to do a redirected restore w/o renaming

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

I'll have to double check on that, I had thought there was a way to redirect the VM without renaming but it looks like that functionality was removed.