cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will 10d cut the mustard?

Rockitman
Level 4
here's the scenario:

Have a Dell Poweredge 2800 file server running Microsoft Server 2003 Enterprise as well as SQL2005 and SQL 2000  (don't ask  :)  )

My drive storage is getting low,   I have  1 logical volume with a very small C: drive  (only 11GB) and a D: drive for the data,  in a Raid 5 configuration.  I utilize 4 of the 8 available drive bays with 138GB scsi drives.

I have just purchased 2 more 138GB drives as well as 2 67MB drives.   My intention is to make a Raid 1 with the 2 67MB drives for my new C: drive,  and use the 6 138GB drives as my D: drive in a Raid 5.

Needless to say,  I believe this will require me to redo the whole server.   Not looking forward to that  but there it is.

I am currently running Backup Exec 10d on this server.     I had talked with a Dell engineer on what would be entailed to reinstall and restore everything and one of the things he mentioned was restoring the system state prior to restoring everything else.   I notice on my 10d that there is no system state option.    I have a version 12 on another stand alone and do see system state as one of the things to backup.

So my question:    Do I need to upgrade to the new 12.5 to do what I need to do?    I tried calling Symantec but you can't talk to anybody for tech support unless you have a service contract which we don't.   The sales lady talked about their Backup Recovery software,   but she was just confusing me even more.

Can somebody hear tell me my best way to proceed please?     Symantec wants to charge an upgrade price of $766 to get to 12.5,  which includes 1 year of support.   
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You should have no problems.

See the Admin Guide under "preparing for disaster recovery" and "disaster recovery"
for prep and the steps you need go through to migrate to your new larger disk volumes

Rockitman
Level 4
Thank you Ken,  but I cannot find an Admin guide.   All I can find is the Quick Installation Guide.  Don't see where documentation is on the CD's either.

Is it here on line somewhere?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
You can access the Admin guide from inside of Backup Exec
Help - Administrators Guide.

Or you can download it.
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/279401.pdf

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

"I had talked with a Dell engineer on what would be entailed to reinstall and restore everything and one of the things he mentioned was restoring the system state prior to restoring everything else. I notice on my 10d that there is no system state option. I have a version 12 on another stand alone and do see system state as one of the things to backup."

The system state/shadow copy components change was a change that occured between some version of BE between 10d and 12.5 (I think it might have been 11d).

Have a look at http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/using/performing-a-local-disaster-recovery.html