cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on veritas clustering

Alex_Veritas
Level 3
HI All,

I need help and suggestions from all the experts in this forum with regard to veritas clustering

I have bought two servers

IBM server x 3650 dual core \16 GB RAM \ 2 * 146GB RAM

IBM storage:-DS 3400 dual controller (146 GB * 10) SAS HDD

Ds4000 1-pt pci-x 4 GBPS HBA card 4 no’s

Software

Backup exec 11 d windows san shared storage

Storage foundation DR WINDOWS ADVANCE / ENTERPRISE

Backup exec 11 d

Sql agent

SQL DATABASE

Can someone suggest me, what is the best way to configure the above mentioned products for VERITAS clustering?

What raid I should configure on storage and how to configure VERITAS cluster on above mentioned products

Can this be installed in a member server or it has to be installed in domain controller.

If someone can guide me with some good documents  will be helpful for me

Regards

Alex

6 REPLIES 6

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Your questions have many possible answers, and it's beyond the scope of a forum to answer them all in full here!
In terms of ducumentation, you obviously have the VCS documentation, which is very extensive. As well as the administrator's guide, there's also specific documents for clustering SQL Server.
What RAID should you consider on the storage? Well that depends! If you have plenty of space, then you might like a RAID 10 partition, which would give plenty of speed and redundancy. You might also consider a RAID 10 partition for the SQL databases, and a separate RAID 5 partition for the SQL logs.
I'd strongly recommend that you install VCS on member servers, rather than domain controllers.

Alex_Veritas
Level 3
Thanks for the responding to my querry, can u help me getting vcs admin guide and installtion guide, if u can get me some link

Regards

Alex

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Specifically, the Admin guide is at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286758.htm and the SQL solutions guide is at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286896.htm
The SQL solutions guide is the closest thing you'll get to a step-by-step.

Alex_Veritas
Level 3
Thanks for the support once again , One more thing would like to know from you, Is there any do's and dont's while installing  VCS

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Based on your lack of training in this area I strongly suggest you install this in a test cluster. You have a lot to learn about topics like service groups, critical vs non-critical resources, virtual IP usage, etc. That is why there is a 5 day course on VCS (either for Windows or for UNIX). AS a matter of fact, there is a 5 day VCS Windows class starting today on the distance learning Virtual Academy offered by Symantec. It provides the same material, the same lectures, the same access to labs as the classroom version. See education.symantec.com for more information.

Alex_Veritas
Level 3
thanks lot for the great advise, i keep in mind