cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFHA 5.1 RedHat, installation file from download buggy?

jf7640
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I just downloaded SFHA 5.1 for Linux from https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/vrtcontroller# and the only product available in this TAR file seems to be SFRAC. I know that technically SFHA is a subset of SFRAC. But I just want to install and configure SFHA, not the entire SFRAC product, for which I don't even have a license.

I downloaded the following from the section Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability (HA) Solutions  

Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 5.1 for Linux

SHA-1: 6d1bea9fbecf2a8023dc04ff12c4e55cb611f7bb

The downloaded file's name is:

VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_PR1_RHEL5_SLES10_x64

The checksum is correct:

[root@oel5 ~]# sha1sum VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_PR1_RHEL5_SLES10_x64

6d1bea9fbecf2a8023dc04ff12c4e55cb611f7bb  VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_PR1_RHEL5_SLES10_x64 

But when untar'ed the RedHat directory only contains the SFRAC product:

[root@oel5 ~]# cd dvd1-linux/rhel5_x86_64/

[root@oel5 rhel5_x86_64]# ls

authentication_service  installer  storage_foundation_for_oracle_rac

copyright               perl       tools

EULA.pdf                rpms       windows

getting_started.pdf     scripts 

And the installer only knows about SFRAC:

Symantec Product                                 Version Installed  Licensed

==============================================================================

Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC        none               no

Symantec Product Authentication Service          none               no 

There is no such problem with the 5.1SP1 software (7ea5a02a09e5ec14794c11b54eae3cb8585e864a  VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_SP1_RHEL).

Is this a known bug? Is there a workaround? Can I install the 5.1SP1 software directly, without having to install the 5.1PR1 software before?

KR
Jochen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_PR1_RHEL5_SLES10_x64 is probably just a patch, where as SP1 contains full product as well as patch.  For 5.1, the only full product installs should be 5.1 and 5.1SP1 so I am not sure where you got VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_PR1_RHEL5_SLES10_x64 from and what this is, but the README should tell you what it applies to.  My guess is that it is a patch for 5.1 and therefore is superceded by 5.1SP1.  

To be completely up-to-date you should also install 5.1SP1RP1 on top of 5.1SP1 which you can download from https://sort.symantec.com/patch/searchmatrix/4/3/4 (file name sfha-rhel5_x86_64-5.1SP1RP1)

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_PR1_RHEL5_SLES10_x64 is probably just a patch, where as SP1 contains full product as well as patch.  For 5.1, the only full product installs should be 5.1 and 5.1SP1 so I am not sure where you got VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_PR1_RHEL5_SLES10_x64 from and what this is, but the README should tell you what it applies to.  My guess is that it is a patch for 5.1 and therefore is superceded by 5.1SP1.  

To be completely up-to-date you should also install 5.1SP1RP1 on top of 5.1SP1 which you can download from https://sort.symantec.com/patch/searchmatrix/4/3/4 (file name sfha-rhel5_x86_64-5.1SP1RP1)

Mike

jf7640
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks, you are probably right.

But am I the only one who finds Symantec's bundling and patch naming scheme confusing? On the download pages it says:

Trialware: Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability (HA) Solutions

This site provides the bits and packages necessary to install version 5.1 SP1 of the following products: 

So when PR1 is a kind of a patch, why do they offer it on this page? What kind of patch is a "PR" patch anyway, is it different from SPs, RPs, PPs etc.?

I'll try to install the SP1 directly.

KR,

Jochen

jf7640
Level 3
Partner Accredited

OK, installing 5.1SP1 directly works for SFHA. One obviously does not need a 5.1 base installation.

Thanks,

Jochen