What is the best choice for the following two site scenerio

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Question #1

what could be best and cheep solution in the following scenerio:

• Primary site = two node
  • Secondary site = one node
  • Company is not willing to buy Global cluster option as high for its cost
  • Company also dont want auto failover which will be in case of stretch cluster replication scenario (onw cluster needed for two sites within 100km)

What least fit in my mind is SFHA at primary site and SF at secondary site. Primary site has VCS installed and configured and replicating data at secondary site with VVR. So the company only need to buy:

• SFHA for primary Site
  • SF for secondary site
  • VVR for two sites

Because of this company can get HA for primary site and can secure its data via replication/vvr at secondary site. 

Question#2

Is there any thing in veritas SFHA regarding standard license and enterprise license. If any details please share

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What you propose will work - but more info on your comments:

Enterprise license and GCO are 2 different licences - you do not get GCO with Enterprise license and I THINK Enterprise license is a lot cheaper than GCO licence.  Enterprise license gives you things like fast resync mirrors and space optimised snapshots.

With campus cluster and stretch cluster you can actually have manual failover (you set service group AutoFailOver attribute to 2), but this requires the same license to GCO (HA/DR license).

What I meant by "some put a one-node VCS cluster at secondary site without GCO" is a separate one-cluster is configured at secondary site, but GCO is not used to connect the 2 clusters.  This just means you can mount your filesystems, start your applications, etc, at secondary site with VCS in one step, rather than having to start all these components manually with several steps.

Regardless whether you put VCS on secondary node or not, if you do not use GCO, then I would not use Replication agents as without GCO, you have no coordination between sites and therefore performing a VVR migrate or takeover should be a manual step to prevent split-brain (and it may be that using replication agents requires HA/DR license anyway).

Mike

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Proposed solution is ok and I have seen a few customers do this (some put a one-code VCS cluster at secondary site without GCO).  Enterprise license is not required - this is mainly for fast resync mirrors which you don't need if you are using VVR, although Enterprise licence also gives you space optimised snapshots which means you can bring up secondary site on a Copy-On-Write snapshot which typically only requires 10% more storage for snapshot (this feature is called Firedrill).

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks for your kind words Mike

• Enterprise license is not required

Enterprise license means you are talking about GCO ? If yes then it involves cost thats why its excluding from the proposal.

• (some put a one-code VCS cluster at secondary site without GCO).

You may talking about the campus cluster/Stretch Cluster. This required one cluster for both sites. and data is replicating via mirroring at Secondary Site ? If yes then the problem with this is actually auto failover. which you cant make manual from primary site to secondary site. If need manual failover between sites then should buy the GCO option(which you are say "Enterprise license" ) which itself a big cost actually.

====================

So this will work....

Primary Site                                                                                Secondary Site

SFHA installed                                                                              SF installed

Two Node Cluster configured

Node-1 Node-2 ======================================Node-3

VVR is replicating data

between

Primary and Secondary SIte

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What you propose will work - but more info on your comments:

Enterprise license and GCO are 2 different licences - you do not get GCO with Enterprise license and I THINK Enterprise license is a lot cheaper than GCO licence.  Enterprise license gives you things like fast resync mirrors and space optimised snapshots.

With campus cluster and stretch cluster you can actually have manual failover (you set service group AutoFailOver attribute to 2), but this requires the same license to GCO (HA/DR license).

What I meant by "some put a one-node VCS cluster at secondary site without GCO" is a separate one-cluster is configured at secondary site, but GCO is not used to connect the 2 clusters.  This just means you can mount your filesystems, start your applications, etc, at secondary site with VCS in one step, rather than having to start all these components manually with several steps.

Regardless whether you put VCS on secondary node or not, if you do not use GCO, then I would not use Replication agents as without GCO, you have no coordination between sites and therefore performing a VVR migrate or takeover should be a manual step to prevent split-brain (and it may be that using replication agents requires HA/DR license anyway).

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

therefore performing a VVR migrate or takeover should be a manual step to prevent split-brain

Definately as an example in the Migrate Scenario :     we have to stop Application Service Group resources only (Not Replication Service Group resources) , then do migrate , then up the Application Service Group resources at secondary site.

Thanks Mike for your kind and superb words on the query. Marking the post as solution

(other ppl can give there comments after mark the post solved)