cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resource monitoring question

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

I have setup custom script using applicaiton agent and custom script takes around  5 minutes to run, but i changed the monitoring interval to  500s, but resource is faulting after 2 minutes. Do  you guys any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You should change the "MonitorProgramTimeout" for the Process resource - see extract from bundled agents guide for Windows Process agent:

MonitorProgramTimeout
The maximum wait time, in seconds, for the
agent to receive a return value from the
monitor routine. This attribute is ignored if
the monitor program is not specified. Default
is 30 seconds.

Mike

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You will need to increase one or more of:

MonitorTimeOut

OnlineTimeOut

OfflineTimeOut

depending on which script takes 5 mins to run.

Mike

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Sorry I was given wrong info.  I 'm using process agent and it doesn't have online or offline time out. It is a windows Machine.  Any attribute that I can change to make it happen ? Thanks in advance. I am trying it trhough GUi. Can I do it in command line ? If so, let me know.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

does it take 5 mins to start or 5 mins to monitor ?

There are parameters in process agent which you can play around depending on what time your process is taking ..

Parameters like MonitorProgramTimeout, CleanProgramTimeout or StopProgramTimeout

refer to VCS bundled agents guide for details

http://sort-cdn.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.0/windows/productguides/pdf/VCS_BundledAgents_60.pdf

If anything can be done from GUI, it can be done from command line as well though GUI will be easy to operate. Have you tried switches using "hares -modify" command ?

G

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you for quick  reply. let me look at the doucment.

No, my resources takes 5 minutes to start, so I want my monitorInterval to more than 5 minuts. It if it less than 5 minutes, my resource will fault.

Since I'm using process agent I don't want to adjust any monitoring agent,  I just want to modify my Process Resrouce which I have created.

OS  - Windows

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You should change the "MonitorProgramTimeout" for the Process resource - see extract from bundled agents guide for Windows Process agent:

MonitorProgramTimeout
The maximum wait time, in seconds, for the
agent to receive a return value from the
monitor routine. This attribute is ignored if
the monitor program is not specified. Default
is 30 seconds.

Mike

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you very much Mike, I have changed my MitorProgramTimeout to 180 seconds, so when monitor comes for second check it wil be 360s and it is good enough for me to bring the resouce up, it didn't  come up, but my  process global agent mointorinterval was set it to 60s and it is faulting after 120s. What is happening is that if you have less than 60s, it will work, but if it is more than 60s, then you need to tweak the global process agent monitor interval. Did you get my point?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In opening post you said changed the monitoring interval to  500s - so did you set it back to 60 again?

Your MonitorInterval for the Process agent should be greater or equal to MonitorProgramTimeout.

Mike

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Yes, I played around with your suggestions and worked fine. Thanks a loooooooooot guys.

You guys are always helpful.