cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the management server be install in a windows cluster?

KevinHuntley
Level 2

Hi,

Is it possible to install the DI management server as part of a windows cluster, for HA purposes? It's the customers proferred method of building out and they would like to maintain it if possible.

I can't see a problem with it, but has anyone done this before?

Kind regards,

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rod_p1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Kevin -

• It should be noted that Data Insight is not cluster aware.
  • We do not support installing it within a cluster.
  • Data Insight is not able to scan or monitor itself for changes.

I agree that using the Veritas Infoscale product suite is likely your best opportunity for success.

That said there are premises one would need to familiarize themselves with to envision the configuration you would require to have a successful Disaster Recovery (DR) within a Data Insight environment.

For example the databases have to be synchronized to the configuration and all updates must succeed in multiple places. In a clustered environment it could be fine to use shared storage and have different nodes active when administering the application but then each node would have to be able to change to a state of controlling the environment. The cluster must actually be the node as it is imperative that the Management Server (MS) can resolve each node name to a configuration file including its' own. Very likely the understanding required to visualize the environment and each node's contribution to the application's operation is outside of the scope of a blog article.

Since you have only asked about the MS being clustered and not the databases themselves we have lost the failover or DR protection the question indicates is desirable for anything but the simplest single tier environment. Take for example this simple diagram:dr_Failover.jpg

Our considerations would have to be:

• IdenticalDNS entries for all nodes and sites since the worker nodes are registered to a Name and/or IP
  • Replication technologies or methods to ensure the synchronization of Database copies
  • Product, platform, configuration and database schema versions must match
  • Automated application start (Services on preregistered worker nodes)

There are likely considerations I have forgotten to include however research / testing should be used to confirm operation prior to inclusion in any production environment. My suggestion would be to initiate a Veritas Support case to have guidance for the inevitable questions and testing scenarios to ensure you have the most up-to-date advice for your planned implementation.

Hopefully this information is of use to you in making your decision.

Rod

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

I believe you can use the VCS Generic Service Agent on Windows to configure DI Management server for high availability. 

Have a look on these articles if you are not familiar with VCS:

https://sort.veritas.com/public/documents/vcs/6.1/windows/productguides/html/vcs_bundledagents/ch06s...

https://sort.veritas.com/public/documents/sfha/6.1/windows/productguides/html/sf_hadr_solns/ch07s11s...

--Virgil

Thanks for the quick response Virgil, wish I could have responded earlier.

So is this called InfoScale now?

Is this the only why you could do this? Or is this the best was of doing it?

Rod_p1
Level 6

Kevin -

• It should be noted that Data Insight is not cluster aware.
  • We do not support installing it within a cluster.
  • Data Insight is not able to scan or monitor itself for changes.

I agree that using the Veritas Infoscale product suite is likely your best opportunity for success.

That said there are premises one would need to familiarize themselves with to envision the configuration you would require to have a successful Disaster Recovery (DR) within a Data Insight environment.

For example the databases have to be synchronized to the configuration and all updates must succeed in multiple places. In a clustered environment it could be fine to use shared storage and have different nodes active when administering the application but then each node would have to be able to change to a state of controlling the environment. The cluster must actually be the node as it is imperative that the Management Server (MS) can resolve each node name to a configuration file including its' own. Very likely the understanding required to visualize the environment and each node's contribution to the application's operation is outside of the scope of a blog article.

Since you have only asked about the MS being clustered and not the databases themselves we have lost the failover or DR protection the question indicates is desirable for anything but the simplest single tier environment. Take for example this simple diagram:dr_Failover.jpg

Our considerations would have to be:

• IdenticalDNS entries for all nodes and sites since the worker nodes are registered to a Name and/or IP
  • Replication technologies or methods to ensure the synchronization of Database copies
  • Product, platform, configuration and database schema versions must match
  • Automated application start (Services on preregistered worker nodes)

There are likely considerations I have forgotten to include however research / testing should be used to confirm operation prior to inclusion in any production environment. My suggestion would be to initiate a Veritas Support case to have guidance for the inevitable questions and testing scenarios to ensure you have the most up-to-date advice for your planned implementation.

Hopefully this information is of use to you in making your decision.

Rod

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks for providing the clarifications, Rod.

@Anonymous, yes VCS is part of InfoScale now.

--Virgil

Hi Rod,

You raised enough valid points in your reply for me to review the original request and push back on it. I provided the caveats of VCS (ironscale) etc.

Your response was incredibly thorough and very much appreciated.

Take care,

Kevin

Rod_p1
Level 6

Thank you I appreciate the feedback Kevin. Veritas is very concerned about protecting your production data, providing coverage for GDPR and being your sole trusted source of 360 data management. Reach out again if ever you need assistance from us or our partner community.

Rod