cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied - Deleting vaulted emails.

Matt_C
Level 3
Hi Guys,

We are running EV 8, when users try to delete vaulted emails the following errors are displayed:

"You have chosen to delete an Enterprise Vault Shortcut.
You can delete just the shortcut or both the shortcut and archived item. If you delete both, you cannot undo this operation. Copies of this shortcut will no longer work.
What would you like to do?"

If the user chooses Delete Both an error message is displayed saying Access Denied.

I have checked that the users have permissions to their archived mailbox in EV, any ideas?

Kind Regards,
Matt
10 REPLIES 10

Maverik
Level 6
Do you allow deletes on teh retention categories?

Do you allow deletes at site level under archive settings tab?

Do you get anything logged in event log if so what? Can you post it?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I've worked on an issue like this already and it may be fixed in the future.  The issue can appear if the site properties disallow deletes from the mailbox, but the shortcut deletion behaviour is set to "both".  The workaround is set to the shortcut deletion behaviour to shortcut only.  This is on the desktop policy for the user (check the Options tab).

Prior to EV 8 this used to work and with the policy set to "both" if the user didn't have permission to delete, we would "silently" just delete the shortcut.

Hope that helps, 
Working for cloudficient.com

Matt_C
Level 3

Do you allow deletes on teh retention categories?
Matt - The settings "Prevent deletion of archived items in this category" is not selected

Do you allow deletes at site level under archive settings tab?
Matt - Under the archive settings tab, the option "Users can delete items from their archives" is selected

Do you get anything logged in event log if so what? Can you post it?
Matt - Cant see anything logged in the eventlogs on the EV server or the client workstataion.

Should this error be logged in the EV Client logs?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Matt_C,

Did you recently make any policy changes?  Can you post an EV Client log of a delete operation which gives you the error message?

Matt_C
Level 3

Hi All.

This is due to EV being enhanced in version 8 to adhere to the device type where data is stored. We have our Centera configured in Governance mode, this means that nothing can be deleted from the Centera until the retention category has expired.

Since we do not want emails to be automatically deleted, or don’t have a proper retention for emails, they are in a retention category of FOREVER. This now means that email can never be deleted unless the retention category is changed.

Please refer to the following document for further information:

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Matt

You should set the Retention Type of the Centera in EV to "Never" instead of "For all Centera Models", this way, EV does write a retention period of 0 days to the Centera, which allows for deletes even in Governance mode.

For existing Data, this is of course bad :)
Would there be interest in a "migration" application which would write EV Data from one Centera Pool to another, using 0 day retention (deleteable), and then deletes the original item (using Centera's privileged delete option)

We are evaluating if it's worth writing such a tool.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

kthorwesten
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

I am having the same issue as Matt_C except my archived are on NTFS. Has this issue been resolved? I have followed all the above suggestions with no success.

If the user selects delete from vault from the icon on the tool bar it deletes just fine, but if the just select regular outlook delete and then select delete both, access is denied.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Have a look in your client log file, with maximum logging, what do you have for these two settings :-

a)
24/08/2009 18:47:27.422[2452]:     DELETEORIGINALITEM = 2

b)
24/08/2009 18:47:27.435[2452]:     USERSCANDELETEITEMS = 1

Search for those from the top downwards.

kthorwesten
Level 3
Thanks for your response Rob.

I checked my client log files and they are both set as you suggested above:
24/08/2010 16:35:19.294[1272]:     DELETEORIGINALITEM = 2
24/08/2010 16:35:19.299[1272]:     USERSCANDELETEITEMS = 1

I thought I'd give it another try and see what happens....this time it worked. :)

Because I am in testing right now, what I did between the time it didn't work and did work were as follows:
In site settings: checked box "Users can delete items from their archives"
I restored all archived items from the users mailbox
Deleted their mailbox, and re-created a new one and archived messages.
The newly archived messages with "In site settings: checked box "Users can delete items from their archives" check, I was able to delete both shortcut and from archive.

Is this normal or a bug? If items are archived with that box unchecked and then you check it, only archived items after the check will be able to be deleted?

Thanks!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Hmm no that's not normal. 

What's "more normal" is that sometimes the setting doesn't get pushed down to the client, it can be a particular problem when cached mode is used... In the past I've seen it be a problem and you have to do a mailbox synch a couple of times, and/or Outlook send/receive after the synch before restarting Outlook.  I've never been able to track down a definitive list of steps that reproduces the problem all the time.  If you have a test system, and can run through the same steps and reproduce the problem every time, then I'd be very interested to hear about it !