Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta Vista Question

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

Help

Does anyone know if AltaVista will index an Auto Cad (DWG) file when the file is being archived by Enterprise Vault FSA?

It is my understanding that when a file is being archived, the storage service will try to converted the file to either HTML or text and that the results of this conversion are used by the Indexing Service to create an index for that file.  If conversion is not possible for a DWG file, will indexing be skipped for that file?

Does AltaVista index RVT or DGN files?

Judy Glazier
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 It will index the metadata of the file but not the actual contents as you cant search the contents of an image.

If you search for file name or extention then you will get a hit but not for any content within the actual drawing

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 It will index the metadata of the file but not the actual contents as you cant search the contents of an image.

If you search for file name or extention then you will get a hit but not for any content within the actual drawing

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Thanks Liam

That isexactly what I wanted to confirm.

Judy Glazier

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Just as a follow up and for information purposes only.

The following document lists all the file types that can and cannot be indexed by Enterprise Vault.

What I was pleased to find out is that a Cad drawing can be indexed during archiving.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/307857

Judy Glazier

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 I have questioned this with support in the past and i was informed that the content is not indexed just the meta data, strange the doc and support disagree

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

Liam, I think I may have discovered why.

There is a caveat to indexing Cad Drawings, sure they will index it as long as it is not larger than 50 MB.  Most Cad Drawings would be more than 50 MB.

Check out the following document I also found.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/284738

Now I need to find out if there is a way to get around this 50 MB limit, say a reg key or making a change in the EvFileArcSvr.exe.config file.

Judy

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
There is a reason they set the 50MB limit on all files, it is a performance issue. When you start archiving and indexing very large files you run into the issue of a backlog building because the server is spending so much time on trying to index one file.

I have heard there was a way to bypass using a reg setting but no one was able to tell me which reg key

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Well, it certainly makes sense and probably Symantec would not consider indexing large files as "Best Practice".

Thanks for the explanation.  Have a great weekend.

Judy

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
A little more info on this.

Apparently any email or file LARGER than 50 MB is considered a large file.  

These large emails or files will be CONVERTED to either HTML or Text and if the resultant file is less than 30 mb than the data will be indexed.  Any larger and it  will not be indexed.

The large emails and files will still be archived but NOT Compressed.

Judy Glazier