cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive Sizes

Elio_C
Level 6

Hi

I'm looking for a way to get the size for a number of archives.

Using the "Vault Store Usage by Archive" report gives me a figure but my local Vault Cache properties is very different (much bigger). Same with the Total Items.

Anyone know the specifics of how each of these properties is constructed and why there is such a disparity.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It could be due to how message files are stored in the PST files themselves.
One thing i would suggest is taking one of the ones with the disparities, exporting them to PST file and seeing if theres a difference between the one single PST file and the main DB files that you have.

Other things can include that when items get deleted and purged from the DB file, the space is not reclaimed, so you may have like 2007_09_12_001.db thats 512MB, expiry comes along or you manually delete a bunch of items and you're left with a handful of items, if the DB compressed then you'd have maybe a 12MB DB file, but because compression doesn't run against the DB file, it remains as 12MB

It could also be because of pre-emptive caching/trawling.
So each time you start outlook, EV will look for items that would be archived on your next Exchange archiving run, so that way it doesn't have to download them from the server to add to the cache, it can just get it straight from the OST etc, but those items will exist in your cache but not in your archive.

I would suspect though, its probably a combination of all, PST files generally being bigger, along with white space consumed in the DB files along with pre-emptive caching

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It could be due to how message files are stored in the PST files themselves.
One thing i would suggest is taking one of the ones with the disparities, exporting them to PST file and seeing if theres a difference between the one single PST file and the main DB files that you have.

Other things can include that when items get deleted and purged from the DB file, the space is not reclaimed, so you may have like 2007_09_12_001.db thats 512MB, expiry comes along or you manually delete a bunch of items and you're left with a handful of items, if the DB compressed then you'd have maybe a 12MB DB file, but because compression doesn't run against the DB file, it remains as 12MB

It could also be because of pre-emptive caching/trawling.
So each time you start outlook, EV will look for items that would be archived on your next Exchange archiving run, so that way it doesn't have to download them from the server to add to the cache, it can just get it straight from the OST etc, but those items will exist in your cache but not in your archive.

I would suspect though, its probably a combination of all, PST files generally being bigger, along with white space consumed in the DB files along with pre-emptive caching

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Elio_C
Level 6

Thanks JW3

We don't have expiry nor allow deletion but do have pre-emptive caching set to 7 days. I'm happy with this explanation, thank you.
I'm not sure the 20% difference in ItemCounts could be explained by pre-emptive caching though?

I'll export a few archives and see what's what.

So the "Vault Store Usage by Archive" report is the truer(?) size.