cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up vaulted items...

mastashake57
Level 3

Hopefully someone can answer this question for me...

Obviously, I'm following Symantec's guide to backup the EV site, but what's the difference in backing up a site that has safety copies set to be removed "After a successful backup" as opposed to backing up a site that has it set to "immediately after archiving"?

I can't seem to find the answer to this question and I've searched all over.  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

With the safety copy strategy "After backup" your items in the mailbox will stay pending until the dvs files have been backed up and the archive bit removed.  (unless you are using the trigger file, but that is another topic. :) )

With the strategy of Immediately the items do not stay pending but turn to a shortcut straightaway.

Does that help?

mastashake57
Level 3

Thanks Tony for the input, but I get the concept of the safety copy strategy.  My question is why is one better than the other?  To me, it seems that there's no difference.  If I set it to "After Backup", it just means that the messages are in Exchange and the nightly Exchange backup will pick up those messages.  If I set it to "Immediately after archiving", then the messages are now in the Enterprise Vault server and the nightly EV backup will take care of that.  According to the documentation, one *should* set the "Immediately after archiving" in a test environment and "After Backup" in production... my question is, why?  What's the advantage?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The advantage is that in a lab environment you do not have to wait for a backup to run to see the shortcut.  (some labs won't have a backup solution in place)

Also, for mailbox archiving in production the safety copy in the mailbox means the if you don't get a good back up of the EV environment and catastrophe  strikes and you loose your vault store all you have to do is cancel the pending items and viola, they are back.  If immediately was set you would have to be going to your exchange backups.

It is considered best practice to use After backup.

Regards,

Tony