cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec "pre" command doesn't put EV in backup mode

Adam_Spiteri
Level 3
I'm running BE 12.5 and EV 8 SP4. I have created a Powershell script to put my Index and Store into backup mode. It is saved on the EV storage server and it works correctly when executed on that server. I have created a batch file, that is located on the backup server, to call the Powershell script using psexec.exe. When I execute the batch file on the backup server from either a command prompt or by clicking on the file, EV is put into backup mode. When I execute the backup job that has the batch file listed as a  pre-backup command, EV is not put into backup mode. The backup job runs under a domain user's credentials and I have assigned that user account permission to backup EV from the EVA console. I know that the batch file is being run by the backup job, I added lines to the batch file that writes status to a file. Symantec support for EV and Backup Exec just point their fingers at the other group as having responsibility for this.
Any thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adam_Spiteri
Level 3

I got it figured out, it's the Powershell on the EV server. Since it is being called by a remote script, the execution policy has to be set to RemoteSigned. For anybody else with the problem you can check the execution policy with the Powershell command

Get-ExecutionPolicy

Set the policy with the command

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
i see that you ran the manually batch file on the backup server and it put EV into backup mode. did you run your test using the same domain account that the backup job runs as?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Makes ure the backup job runs under an account, not local system
When running under an account, add the account to the storage operators group in the authorizationmanager

Regards. Gertjan

Adam_Spiteri
Level 3
Andrew, I did test the script while logged in as the account that the backup services use.
I stated in my original post that this runs under a domain account that has been granted rights to backup EV. I followed Symantec doc 319433.
I'm hoping to hear back from someone who is using Backup Exec and Powershell to successfully enable backup mode on EV.

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
We are running into the same scenario under NetBackup 7.0 for Windows.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

ITs better to use the Agent for Enterprise vautl in backup exec so you dont need to run any scripts manually ... As you are running pre an post command , In the backup job properties --Pre-Post command ... make sure you are runnign the script on the correct server . As at the bottom you have an option which state run the command on the MEdia server or on the remote server .

Also the remote agent service on the Enteprise vault server should be running on LSA..And you specify a account which has proper rights and permission in the backup job properties .

Adam_Spiteri
Level 3

I got it figured out, it's the Powershell on the EV server. Since it is being called by a remote script, the execution policy has to be set to RemoteSigned. For anybody else with the problem you can check the execution policy with the Powershell command

Get-ExecutionPolicy

Set the policy with the command

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned