cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup mode script

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hello,

I have been running into an issue with our backup process on one of our EV servers. We have the Netbackup job calling a .bat file to put the server in backup mode, but the storage service keeps getting stepped on and does not start at the end. I am guessing that it is just taking too long to stop and the other services complete the process causing the storage service to fail. I have added sleep commands between the netstop commands but keep seeing the problem. I was wondering if anyone has a way of managing the backup mode process in a better manner like a VB script that can wait for the service to stop before proceeding? I have adjusted the sleep commands several times and it is still failing. We are upgrading from EV 7.5 Sp5 to 8.0 SP5 next month so this wont be an issue after that but I need a fix for the meantime. This is the .bat that I have been using.

Thanks,

Travis

net stop /y "Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service"
sleep.exe 60
net stop /y "Enterprise Vault Storage Service"
sleep.exe 90
net stop /y "Enterprise Vault Indexing Service"
sleep.exe 10
net stop /y "Enterprise Vault Shopping Service"
sleep.exe 10

regedit /s G:\Backup\EVBackup-readonly.reg

sleep.exe 15
net start "Enterprise Vault Storage Service"
net start "Enterprise Vault Indexing Service"
net start "Enterprise Vault Shopping Service"
net start "Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would recommend stopping the Storage service last. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Why not use the powershell scripts which ship with EV?

Working for cloudficient.com

GertjanA

I would do the stop manually, and check how long it takes for the storage service to stop.

then extend the sleep after the storage service stop to that time + 10 seconds extra.

As Rob mentions, as of 8 you need to use powersheel to set ev in backup, there is no need to stop/start services anymore. Do some advance reading on this. that will help.

Regards. Gertjan

TonySterling

As he mentioned above, right now he is on version 7.5 (EV 2007)

TonySterling

He understands about the powershell commands but that will not help him till he is able to upgrade to EV 8.   Right now he is on EV 2007.

TonySterling

I would recommend stopping the Storage service last. 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

D'oh, I totally didn't see the version information.  Sorry about that.

If it helps when you stop the Admin Service on EV, the services are stopped in the following order :

Task Controller

Storage

Shopping

Indexing

Directory

Admin

^^ Slightly different order to the way you have it?

The length of time it takes to actually stop the services can vary, but net stop won't move on to the next command/service until the first one has either finished, or timed out during the stop.    There are registry keys for Windows SCM that can be changed to lengthen the timeout I believe.

Working for cloudficient.com

Vikes_2
Level 6

Thanks for the info guys, I was wondering about adjusting the sequence of the services but thought it had to be specific but sounds like it does not matter. Maybe I will try that and as Tony mentioned stop the Storage last as that appears to be the hang out. I have messed with the sleep command a bunch and no matter how long I set it out I have the same issue. I will let you guys know if that fixes it. 

cant wait to upgrade :)

Thanks,

Travis

Vikes_2
Level 6

So I followed Tony's example and have not seen the issue since. I am pretty sure I followed the guidlines for the order listed by Symantec for the script and just assumed that there was a reason for the order. Thanks for clearing up that the order is somewhat fluid Tony!

Travis