cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see OWA2003 buttons

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
I've completed installing/configuring EV 7.0sp1 and Exchange mail archiving. Everything looks to be working well except for a couple of issues:

I�ve gone through and followed the documentation for installing/configuring owa extensions on a backend exchange server. I�m able to view archived items. The documentation also states, �From a browser, enter the URL for the back-end OWA server. Open an OWA client and check that you can view archived items. In OWA 2003 clients, you should also see the Enterprise Vault buttons. Archive Explorer and Search options should be displayed in the navigation pane.�

I don�t see the EV buttons, Archive Explorer and Search options in the navigation bar. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light as to why. I�m using EV sp1/Exchange 2003 sp2 (backend only configuration)/Internet Explorer 6.0

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
what is the version on your owa control folders?

Program Files\Exchsrvr\exchweb\6.5.****.*\controls

Also, do you see a folder called Controls-original copied by Enterprise Vault or something similiar?

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
Under \exchweb I see

Controls-originals copied by Enterprise Vault folder is under both 6.5.7638.1 and 6.5.7651.6

Thanks

Alan_M
Level 6
Do you see the icons for the archived items?

Make sure you you have SystemMailboxes on your Exchange data stores. OWA buttons won't appear if the forms have not been registered correctly on these system mailboxes. (Although you will see the archived item icons).

Also is your AD domain different than you smtp domain? If so don't forget you should run the owa backendsetup2003.wsf script with the /formregdomain switch.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
I'll ask the dumb question since nobody is...did you make sure that the account you're logging in to the PC with is enabled for archiving?

I've seen people think OWA is broken fer days, until they realize they've been trying to logon with the VSA and getting nowhere.

micah

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
Yes, I do see the icons for the archived items.

I have one mailstore and I do see the system mailbox.

My AD and Exchange domains are the same. Where is that /formregdomain switch documented? I didn't see anything about that in the install guide. I've already run the backendsetup2003.wsf script (without that switch)

Thanks

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
Yup. I've enabled just one mailbox for now and have authenticated with that account when logging onto OWA. What does VSA stand for?

Thanks

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
Alan, how can I tell if the forms have been correctly registered on the system mailbox?

Thanks

Alan_M
Level 6
VSA - Vault Service Account

When you ran the EV OWA extensions config on your Exchange servers a log file was created in the OWA directory. Have a quick look through to see if there were any errors.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Ian,
Be sure you're logging in to windows with the account, not just logging on to OWA with that account. Also, post the owa config log and let's see if there's any ADO errors (like it's sounding you've got).

micah

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
I'm a little unclear on what you mean by making sure I log onto windows with the account. Since this is OWA, I should be able to launch a browser and log on with my credentials, whether i'm actually logged onto the windows box or not. For example, if i'm at a shared computet kiosk, i should be able to launch a browser and logon to OWA.
Where would the owa config log be located?

Thanks

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Yeah,
but remember it uses integrated windows auth to get the creds as well.

micah

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
Well, I think integrated auth is an option, especially if you're using Basic with an ssl cert. In any case, users shouldn't have to worry about logging into windows with a certain account before using OWA.

Thanks

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
Alan,

You mentioned OWA buttons won't appear if the forms have not been registered correctly on these system mailboxes. (Although you will see the archived item icons). This is exactly the situation i'm seeing. Do you know how I might be able to check if the forms have been registered correct;y on the system mailbox?

Thanks

Alan_M
Level 6
I have seen the problem I described when the SystemMailbox was missing. Look in the owa extensions setup log file in the c:\program files\enterprise vault\owa directory on your exchange backend server to see if there are any errors. Alternatively look for the SystemMailbox in Exchange System Manager if it is missing then that is the problem if it is there then there may be a GUID problem.

Consider recreating the systemmailboxes as per:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316622/en-us

Ian_Forbes
Level 3
Partner
Micah,

Why do users need to authenticate onto their Windows domain first and then authenticate again when they launch OWA before they will be able to see the OWA buttons and Archive explorer? It only works when I do those steps. Unfortunately, my users don't log onto the windows domain, unless they log onto the terminal server. Just wondering if there's a workaround to make those buttons visible without requiring 2 separte logons.

Thanks

Alan_M
Level 6
The Exchange mailbox is associated with a domain account and by proxy so is the users EV archive. Because EV relies integrated windows authentication the credentials of a non-domain account are simply incorrect hence the re-authentication.