cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centralising across EV sites

kazakh_cowboy
Level 4
A quick question I hope. I have three different sites stuck in three different locations. I would like to be able to administer all three and apply the same policies from a central console...Is it possible and how.

Regards Cowboy
14 REPLIES 14

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Simple answer is no, however, you can admin all the sites from one console.

Open mmc and select add/remove snapin , select Enterprise Vault select each directory and you will have three in one console. But there is no way you can copy policies

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The only way to do this is to merge the sites into one.

Such tools to help do this are available through www.evtools.com

Ask MichelZ more details about the tools. I'm sure if a consolidation is an option (them all being the same company) then i think evtools can help

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Not quite true, there are other ways, but its version specific.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Wayne,

I dont know of the other ways that automate it. I know that the evtool does take alot of the pain out of it.

I know you can export the archives and them import them into the site that will become the remaining site. This all makes the process very manual and time consuming

Please share the knowledge on some of the other options :)

kazakh_cowboy
Level 4
Thanks Gents for the quick response..I will look into evtools

kazakh_cowboy
Level 4
Thanks Gents for the quick response..I will look into evtools

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Dont forget,

If you find a solution mark the post as solved. It saves people revisiting the post to help and it also shows the others who have simular issues the solution so they can use it

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Liam,

There were a set of tools we produced for a specific customer that paid us for this, however I thought it was an awesome consultancy tool and we made it more generic.  I went on to do another three site consolidations. This is a consultancy exercise and cannot be run by the client, as there are loads of SQL updates and planning that need to go into it.
But as I said, its version specific and will need a lot of planning and PS involvement.

--wayne 

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Custom made apps can be a pain because they are unuseable for the rest of us.

Sounds like a feature erquest needs to be submitted to Symantec..

I dont have a need for such a tool, only for that I would add it to my long list of feature requests

Rebuild a copy of an index while the live one is still in use then have the ability to switch over the the new version

Rebuild a vault store online to make use of the SIS features in EV8

Just some of the ones i have requested.

Actually the Index rebuild one will be very important when EV9 is released because i know Symantec are planing on changing their indexing from Alta Vista to a new index format so we will all have to rebuild our indexes in the next two years

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Again, not quite true!

The speak is that when the new index engine is used, your old AltaVista  indexes will be in read-only and your new index will get written using the new technology. Therefore you will not need to rebuild your indexes.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Wayne,

True, my comment was based on MY preference to have to manage one technology rather than having to deal with indexes in two formats. Also the assumption that Symantec are moving to the new index format is because of performance, support and footprint. Given those reasons most people out there would want to change to make use of these features just like they want to have the ability to go from the archives built in EV 7.x and earlier to 8.0 to make use of the Single instancing (fingerptint) in the new format.

Also, and this I say from experience, if there is ever any issues with the indexes Symantec will recommend you rebuild your indexes.

So taken into account my experinece with index issues and the enhancements in the new index format this is why I said about rebuilding

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

"Actually the Index rebuild one will be very important when EV9 is released because i know Symantec are planing on changing their indexing from Alta Vista to a new index format so we will all have to rebuild our indexes in the next two years."

That is what I was referring to, and I think you will find the main reason for moving to a new format is not any of the issues you suggest we moving away from.

Let’s take this offline as this is not the place for this.

MichelZ
Level 6
Well, I think all cowboy wanted to know is that are appearantly two ways, one involves symantec PSS, and is maybe a pain.. (sorry), and the other one is using our Tool called "Archive Shuttle" for site consolidation. ;) Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
hay, I never said it was easy!!! I said you would need to get PS to do it, and its version specific basicly saying AS is his best bet :)