cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Archiving policies from quota based to age based and back.

Jason_Bunn
Level 3
We currently run quota based archiving to help with mailbox management. We also have the requirement that all items in the mailboxes are removed from both the indox, EV, and, Centera after 3 years.

Not really sure how to accomplish this.

Is there a way to run EVPM to switch to age based along with archving by modified date? This way grabing all mail up to today and having it expire based on when it was last modified. Then swith back to quota based.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Alan_M
Level 6
Can you not just archive based on quota and just set the retention to 3 years so that any archived data will expire and be deleted after 3 years. This would be based on the archived date.

Jason_Bunn
Level 3
Yes we are already setting the quota based archiving to have a retention category of 3 years. If I understand correctly this does not guarantee that all mail 3 years old and older is gone. There could be items in the mailbox that are 5 years old and quota based archiving would never pull them in if your quota is not reached.

Alan_M
Level 6
Sorry my misunderstanding. You are correct in your understanding. One of the approaches that I have heard Symantec recommend is to occassionally modify the mailbox archiving policy to age based. They suggest doing this initially but since you are past that I'd suggest you just schedule a change in the policy, run the policy and then modify it back to quota based.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
After satisfying the Large Items first rule Quota based does take the oldest items first to reach meet the quota request.

But to be absolutely sure you have all items older than a certain time frame you can change to Age-based archiving.

Using EVPM you can run a script to set the poicy to Age-based for a weekend and then set it back to Quota the following Monday.

Jason_Bunn
Level 3
Tony, we are talking about 3000 mailboxes on 3 different Exchange servers and 10 different stores.

I can run EVPM by store. Is this the best way to approach this? Any other gotcha's?