cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client-driven PST migration with SP3

Gaute_Bekeng
Level 4
Hi,

After upgrading to SP3 I was hoping client-driven PST migration would locate and migrate PST-files in the users home folder. So far, I have not been able to successfully migrate a PST-file located in a users home folder, in our case P:. There is probably a configuration missing or a step in the process I've missed. What I have done is create the PST migration policy and the PST migrator task. I then enabled clien-driven migraion for the previously mail-enabled mailbox. PST-files on the local harddrive is migrated successfully, but no PST-files on the home folder.

Has anyone tried this? Am I missing something or is this still not working?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Gaute
29 REPLIES 29

Gaute_Bekeng
Level 4
Hi,

Sorry I have not responded before, but I've been on vacation. That is good news. Can you please specify what tasks you have configured? According to support I need the Migrator task and Collector task, but it still doesn't work.

Regards,
Gaute

Alan_M
Level 6
You'll also need the locator task for Server side migrations.

Gaute_Bekeng
Level 4
Hmm, now I really get confused. The Administrator's guide lists the following three steps needed to set up client-driven migration:
1. Set up the PST migration messages.
2. Create a PST Migrator task.
3. Enable mailboxes for client-driven PST migration.

It does not mention either the collector task or the locator task and migrating pst-files on local hard drives work with only the migrator task.

Anyhow, I have now configured both collector task and locator task, but it is still not working, but I will try some more tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help.

Kind regards,
Gaute

Suresh_Vangara
Level 4
Guate,

We need to do a server driven - pull-migration not the client driven. I think you need the PST Locator, and PST collector Tasks too.

First make sure the enterprise vault servcie account is a member of the local administrators group on the machine the hosts the home folders.

Check the client logs and make sure the PST's are marked, or what you can do is deleted the registry entries on the client machine, so that the EV client extensions mark them again.

Delete the "last PST check" registry key on the client too before you run the locator task.

If the PSTs on the home folder are still not listed, something is wrong, please mail me directly on suresh AT condoprotego DOT com.

Suresh_Vangara
Level 4
Gaute,

I am sorry i could not reply to your email, our anti-spam box had blocked your email, anyway.....

the server driven migration is the same as "locate and migrate" just make sure you have EVSA as a member of the local administrators group on the machine hosting the home folders.

Check the client logs to make sure the PST is marked ....press and hold shift+control key and click on any of the EV icons in outlook and you will get a "Enterprise Vault Diagnostics" window, in this window click on the option "4" maximum for the level of logging required.

Close outlook, reopen and wait for few minutes. Open the client log as mentioned above and click on "open log". you will now have a txt file open in front of you, press control-f and you will get the find tool, type "marked pst" and click find, this will tell you if the PST has been marked.

Run the locator task and EV should find the PST.

Regards

Suresh K Vangara

Gaute_Bekeng
Level 4
Hi Suresh,

No problem, but from your answer I gather that you did see my email, at least the first email I sent. Anyhow, I did the locate and migrate and yes, EV finds the pst-file. However it got the "Do not migrate" status. I would very much like not to having to do the manual job of changing the status for all the pst files that EV discovers. Is that possible?

Regards,
Gaute

Suresh_Vangara
Level 4
Hi Gaute

I am afraid not, by default the status of PST found by the locate and migrate method is "do not migrate", i am not aware of any method to change the default status, may be some of the Guru's here will know...Hello any one there ???

I am glad though, that you are able to migrate PSTs from home folders.

cheers

Suresh K Vangara.

Gaute_Bekeng
Level 4
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I will continue the support case with Symantec, because I do want the "set and forget" method of client-driven migration. I'll let you know how it works out.

Yours truly,
Gaute

Gaute_Bekeng
Level 4
FYI. Symantec has been unable to solve this problem. Unfortunately is doesn't seem to be that many that has tried using this feature, and my company is too small to get serious attention from Symantec.

Gaute_Bekeng
Level 4
Hi all,

FYI. After receiving a hotfix for PstMigratorTask.exe, client driven migration of pst-files located in the users home folder, is now working.

Regards,
Gaute