Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression & De-Dupe on Store

GrahamHyland
Level 4

Hi There All,

Thank you for looking,

I have recently crerated a new vault store and started archiving lots of data from a file server.

I had 2 partitions created in the vault Store at 500GB each, I configured rollover at 10% free space and it behaved as i expected, The first partition reached 90% capacity and it closed the partition and rolled onto the next partition.

I have just realised that Compression and de-dupe were not selected on either partitions.

So I have just selected them hoping that it will reduce the size of the store, Is there anything else that I should do to help this along?

I'm using EV8 on W2k

Graham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Dedupe will only happen for items that are archived after you changed the setting. Enterprise Vault does not go back over previously archived items and single-instance them so your existing data will remain as-is unless you export, delete (from the archive) and rearchive it, though this will impact expiry as expiry will be based on the new archived/modified date and not the date from the original archive run

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Dedupe will only happen for items that are archived after you changed the setting. Enterprise Vault does not go back over previously archived items and single-instance them so your existing data will remain as-is unless you export, delete (from the archive) and rearchive it, though this will impact expiry as expiry will be based on the new archived/modified date and not the date from the original archive run

GrahamHyland
Level 4

Thanks,

Could you tell me how to do an export?

Graham

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

You can export from the Vault Admin Console by right-clicking on the archive container and selecting Export from the list. Your options from there are to export to PST files or back to the original mailbox

GrahamHyland
Level 4

Hi Again,

I'm sorry but I forgot to mention that this is FSA not Exchange. I cant seem to find an export option

Graham

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For FSA you would use FSAUtility.  FSAUtility is documented in the utilities guide.

Also you can start with this technote:

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61468

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

hang on a second, you do actually have a device that supports dedupe and compression right?
Because only specific devices will allow that, if you have a regular NTFS drive, it will not perform any of this.

Natively EV will perform SIS and compression (via zlib), but if you have a centera it will perform its own SIS/Dedupe etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146