cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion on Permissions & Archive Points

Kellino
Level 4

We want to archive a volume and keep it simple, but I'm getting feedback such that archive points will only work with the permissions on the top level folder.

For example, consider a folder called "Departments" which has subfolders for Finance, Sales and Marketing.  Finance users have permissions to the Finance folder, Sales to Sales and so on.

If I create a single archive point at "Departments", would the Finance/Sales/Marketing users still be able to double-click the placeholders (for recall) in their respective directories when they don't have permission at the parent archive point of "Departments"?

Or....

Is it necessary to have an archive point (using auto-create) for EVERY folder where permissions have been assigned?

This is a simple example, but our folder/premission structure is about 20x more complex and we are looking for ways to keep it simple, without painting ourselves into any corners.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

and here's a little bit about target volumes, folders, and archive points that may help with the different concepts:

You add file servers as targets in the Administration Console. You then add shares
on a target file server as target volumes for FSA to process. You then add target
folders to control which folders can be archived from.
Within the target folders and their subfolders you can create archive points to
mark the top of a folder structure that Enterprise Vault archives within a single
archive.

Enterprise Vault creates an archive for each archive point that it finds. By default
the Enterprise Vault File System Archiving task gives the archive the same name
as the folder to which the archive point applies. The site defaults are used to
supply the other attributes of the archive. You can override these defaults if you
want.

Where possible, Enterprise Vault uses Alternate Data Streams (ADS) to indicate
archive points. These stream archive points are used on NTFS volumes, on NetApp
filers, and on EMC Celerra devices. If the file system does not support ADS,
Enterprise Vault uses hidden XML files to mark archive points.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Not sure where that info came from, but the permissions on subfolders will synch without problens! Would suggest just testing real quick
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AndrewB

I stole this from the Setting_up_File_System_Archiving.pdf doc:

When Enterprise Vault archives a file, it gives the archived version the same
permissions as the folder that contained the original file. This means the following:

If a file has permissions that are different from those of the containing folder,
the archived version has the folder permissions. A shortcut has the same
permissions as the file.

Someone who has access to the original folder can find and access the archived
version of the file, even if the file permissions denied access. Such a person
cannot use a shortcut to access the file, however.

The File System Archiving task automatically synchronizes archive folder
permissions with file server folder permissions on a scheduled basis. The automatic
synchronization can run once or twice each day. It is possible to turn off the
automatic synchronization, in which case you must synchronize manually.

AndrewB

and here's a little bit about target volumes, folders, and archive points that may help with the different concepts:

You add file servers as targets in the Administration Console. You then add shares
on a target file server as target volumes for FSA to process. You then add target
folders to control which folders can be archived from.
Within the target folders and their subfolders you can create archive points to
mark the top of a folder structure that Enterprise Vault archives within a single
archive.

Enterprise Vault creates an archive for each archive point that it finds. By default
the Enterprise Vault File System Archiving task gives the archive the same name
as the folder to which the archive point applies. The site defaults are used to
supply the other attributes of the archive. You can override these defaults if you
want.

Where possible, Enterprise Vault uses Alternate Data Streams (ADS) to indicate
archive points. These stream archive points are used on NTFS volumes, on NetApp
filers, and on EMC Celerra devices. If the file system does not support ADS,
Enterprise Vault uses hidden XML files to mark archive points.

Kellino
Level 4

Jesus/Andrew:  

Thanks!

I heard this concern from a consultant but either I misunderstood or something was wrong, hence my question.  (In my experience this was not an issue but I got a bit nervous :)

Could this be an issue with using Archive Explorer perhaps, but just not with traditional recall via placeholder?

Thanks!

AndrewB

If you can access it one way I dont see why there would be an issue with the other.