cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Filtering

SilverICE
Level 4

Looking for some help on content filtering.  What I'd like to do is archive all multi-media files (mp3, wav, mpeg, etc.) according to a certain retention category so that they expire much sooner than normal business records.

I've got the registry keys set up and can successfull remove or replace the file attachments based up their file type.  I haven't been able to set them up to archive to a different retention category, however.   

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you post your Default Filter Rules.xml?

You should have a rule that looks something like this:

<RULE NAME="Mp3RetentionCategory" ACTION="ARCHIVE_ITEM" RETENTION="mp3MailRetention">

<FILES>

<FILE FILENAME="*.MP3"/>

</FILES>

</RULE> 

Message Edited by TonySterling on 02-09-2009 07:13 PM

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

Can you post your Default Filter Rules.xml?

You should have a rule that looks something like this:

<RULE NAME="Mp3RetentionCategory" ACTION="ARCHIVE_ITEM" RETENTION="mp3MailRetention">

<FILES>

<FILE FILENAME="*.MP3"/>

</FILES>

</RULE> 

SilverICE
Level 4
That seems to have worked!  the item was at least archived this time.  i'll have to wait one day to see if expiry runs as it should.  Thanks!

SilverICE
Level 4
Well, not so fast.  I did a 'Run Now' of the archive task against an item with an mp3 attachment using the Default Filter Rules.xml file you provided and the item archived just fine.  However, the retention category assigned to this item is still the default, Business retention category.  I can manually archive an item using the toolbar and select my MP3 retention category and that works just fine.  I've compared both archived items Retention categories against the IDs listed in the RetentionCategoryEntry table in SQL so I can see that there's still a problem with the filtering file not assigning the proper retention category.  Any ideas?

TonySterling
Can you paste what you have for Filter Rules?

SilverICE
Level 4
<RULE NAME="MultiMedia Retention" ACTION="ARCHIVE_ITEM" RETENTION="MultiMedia">
  <FILES>
   <FILE FILENAME="*.MP3"/>
  </FILES>
 </RULE>

TonySterling

So the exact name of your retention category is MultiMedia and the remove replace was working before?

Also, is it set up for mailbox or journal or both? 

One thing to try that may not make a difference is change the Rule Name to MultiMedia_Retention.  In other words take the space out.

Additionally you could dtrace the archive task or journal task.