cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of questions please

Aaron_Norton
Level 4
I usually save a couple at a time.

1. When a user accesses an archived message they are asked for a username and login which is their domain credentials. This always works fine but is there a way to stop this from happening all the time?

2. Is it possible to restore items to a mailbox from the evault server rather than having to go to the mailbox and do a restore from evault? The reason I ask is because when we move our larger mailboxes (10gb+) to a new server it would be easier to archive move and then restore.

3. Former employees- we have an archive setup for former employees which we then use to archive all their mail. Is it ok then to delete the mailbox? if we do is it easy enough to reassociate another primary account to it for searching and accelerators?

Thanks for your time

Aaron
6 REPLIES 6

MarkB_2
Level 4
1. When a user accesses an archived message they are asked for a username and login which is their domain credentials. This always works fine but is there a way to stop this from happening all the time?

This is normally attributed to the Internet Explorer Local Intranet setttings. The policy, if you are using 6 and above, will have a setting to add the aliases and DNS (A) record of your EV server, something like evserver.domain.lan;evname.domain.lan

2. Is it possible to restore items to a mailbox from the evault server rather than having to go to the mailbox and do a restore from evault? The reason I ask is because when we move our larger mailboxes (10gb+) to a new server it would be easier to archive move and then restore.

You can use the Export wizard to do this, but if you are just moving a mailbox I would follow this technote, http://support.veritas.com/docs/284956 as this means you do not have to export/import/re-archive the data

3. Former employees- we have an archive setup for former employees which we then use to archive all their mail. Is it ok then to delete the mailbox? if we do is it easy enough to reassociate another primary account to it for searching and accelerators?

Again here's another technote detailing this - http://support.veritas.com/docs/273123

Hope all that helps!

Mark

p.s. here's the support page link, http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=50996, if use search using the right criteria you should get a result!

Aaron_Norton
Level 4
Thanks for the reply. I think maybe i confused some people on number 2. I just wanted to move someones mailbox because it was too big. My idea was to shrink it using EVault and then put the mssages back in full swing after it was moved.

When moving a mailbox from one server to another I just move the mailbox using the mailmove option from exchange because I have all my mail servers connected to EVault now. I assume this is the correct way to do it so to speak.

Aaron_Norton
Level 4
Guess I made myself nervous now. If I have 4 mail servers and all 4 are connected to EVault I can simply move mailboxes using the exchange mailbox move services to do it and EVault will resync to the new server. Is this correct or not?

Thanks for your time

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Aaron,

Setup a task to the new servers.

Disable the users in EV

Move the users in AD/Exchange

Sync the users on the new server

Enable the users and test functionality.

Here is an older tech note:

Aaron_Norton
Level 4
Ok I wasn't doing that before but the mailboxes still would manage to sync up fine when I moved them to the new servers. Maybe it is because i already have the EV services running on all the servers now and when I move the mailbox it automatically picks it up.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Aaron,

Whenever you move users between mailboxes you should endeavour to disabled them in EV, move then re-sync and enable. IF you don't do this you may run into duplicate entries in the ExchangeMailboxEntry table. You can check this by looking at that table (in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory dbase) and searching for '%marked%' - if you have these entries you need to remove them.

There is a registry SynchInMigrationMode (technote here http://support.veritas.com/docs/284956 ) which alleviates this issue if you don't disable the users......

Regards,

Mark