cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DST and Temp IE

Jason_Bunn
Level 3
We are being recommended to delete the temp IE files on all clients that use Archive Explorer or the Browser Search to ensure the updated files are being used.

OK does anyone know what that really means to the end user or point me back to some more detailed doc? I would assume the impact would be that the searches they perform in either of the 2 web apps. may be an hour off? Or is it worse?

I'm trying to determine if we really need to delete the temp IE files on 8,000 workstations.

Thanks for any more info.
6 REPLIES 6

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Jason,
All the users need to do is clear their cache. I even think there's a gpo you can use for IE to force a cache deletion at the program's termination. It's a good practice to get in to anyhow, especially if you're a heavy AE or web user.

micah

Alan_M
Level 6
If you are running EV 7 there is a new option in the mailbox archiving policy that will delete the IE cache. "Automatically delete IE file cache" under the advanced tab-desktop settings.

Jason_Bunn
Level 3
Thanks for the deployment suggestions but I really need to know the impact to the end user.

We have thousands of field reps that are not domain joined and we would need to package a new local policy and deploy it. We could avoid this work if there was enough information out there to weigh the impact to the end user. We can't just flip a switch. There is a whole test to prod change fow we have to follow which touches many different resources. If there is not a large impact it would seem like it would be better to let it clean itself up over the next 30 days or so.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

As I understand it. iThe changes are around DST and viewing of items. So if you don't do this then you may not see the exact right time when viewing messages. Purging the cache is one way to ensure the new changes are picked up.

So depending upon your users, this may not be a big deal.

Alan_M
Level 6
Can you provide more info and what explanation they are giving you regarding the role that cached files play in a search?

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Jason,
I'm not sure there's an impact to the end users just for clearing the inet cache. I mean, I guess the most significant would be a 30 second lag while IE grabs their content again. I guess I might be missing the point tho, as it seems to me to be a fairly trivial thing to clearn out IE caches.

micah