cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does archiving work

Reginald_D_Souz
Level 4
My question is regarding how exchange server works with EV archiving.
When a mail is archived the actual mail is replaced with a shortcut by EV and the actual mail is stored in vault. How does exchange treat this? Does exchange delete the mail to replace it with shortcut and places it in the deleted items retention list or does EV makes it bypass that? Or there is no such phase like deletion? Wanted to know how exchange and EV do it.
5 REPLIES 5

Alan_M
Level 6
EV uses MAPI to interact with Exchange. So in the case of an archived message with the safety copy being removed after an EV backup what will happen is that the message is read from the mailbox by EV, converted to html/text, stored and then indexed. The message class is changed from ipm.note to ipm.note.enterprisevault.pendingarchive (this prompts the icon change to a little clock) once EV is backed up the original message is deleted and the short cut created with the message class changed to ipm.note.enterprisevault.shortcut (don't quote me on the exact names but you get the idea) and the item is shown as fully archived. This is all down through MAPI calls.

Reginald_D_Souz
Level 4
OK. Thanks for that. But my question was related to deletion. When a normal mail is deleted using Shift+delete it is not stored in the deleted items list, but exchange stores in the deleted items retention list for 14days or whatever is set. So my question is when EV deletes the archived mail post backup from Exchange, does exchange keep it in its deleted items retention list. Or does EV and exchange bypass that phase.

Reginald_D_Souz
Level 4
To be precise my question is when EV archives a mail post backup (which is deleting the mail creating a shortcut) , does Exchange store the mail in the dumpster till the retention period of the deleted items?

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
As far as I understand it, once the DVS file is backed up, the original mail is replaced with the shortcut text in the Exchange mailbox. The DVS holds the original item that was in the mailbox.

Deleting archived items really depends on the retention categories you have in place and if they will allow you to delete etc.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

To answer your question. When an item is turned into a shortcut the existing item is not deleted. A shortcut is still the original message but with further attributes removed. So nothing goes into the dumpster or anything like that.

So effectively archive pending is pretty much a change of message class and a shortcut is attachments removed and other unnecessary attributes and the content changes to leave as much text as you want in the shortcut body.