cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVS level single instance lost when upgraded from EV 7.5 to EV 8.0?

cheungne
Level 3
After upgrading EV from 7.5 to 8.0 SP3, it seem that the DVS level single instance has been lost. May I know is that true?
7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
 EV 8 has a whole different SIS model, called OSIS.  I believe it's covered in the guides available on the media, and technotes.

Essentially now (for mailbox archiving, as that is somewhat easier to describe) attachments to messages are stored seperately, and SIS'ed.

Let me know if you can't find the information, and I'll dig something out.

Note: The sharing information, which used to mean that the original DVS file was updated when a second copy of a file/mail was archived, is now stored in the database.  I can give you some examples, if that would help.
Working for cloudficient.com

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The examples below are really high level overviews but.... EV2007 and below SIS was the following - SIS only performed in the open partition abcd123yourSite.dvs - User information - Archivable Item - Indexable Item User Information would be details of the person who archived it. Archivable Item would be the msg and the attachments compressed Indexable Item would be the converted archivable item in to either txt and html and this data is used to add to the index Single Instance Storage in EV2007 and below is fairly limited. So for instance take the following ------- Subject: Hello Attachments: SomeWordDoc.docx (1MB) From: UserA To: UserB, UserC, UserD ------- If UserA, UserB, UserC, UserD all archive the item and are on the same vault store, then the item will be single instanced (as long as the rest of the message headers match) If all those same users archived it, but UserA and UserB archive it just before a partition is closed, then UserC and UserD archive it in the new partition, you'd have two DVS files If all users are in seperate vault stores, then you'd have four DVS files resulting from it.... In Enterprise Vault 8 it changed to the following - SIS can be performed in the entire vault store or across multiple vault stores - EV will SIS anything above 20k So for instance in the above scenario, if all vault stores belong to the same vault store group, then that item would be single instanced The SIS changes to the following though abcd123.DVS (User Information + mail body) abcd123.DVSSP (SIS parts, usually attachments) abc1234.DVSCC (Converted Content, either txt or html) If an item is < 20k, then the item is stored as a single DVS file so take the following ------- Subject: Hello Attachments: None From: UserA To: UserB, UserC, UserD ------- If all users receive this and its below 20k, then you will have four seperate DVS files. If all users receive this and its above 20k then you will get the following 4 x *.DVS (1 for each recipient with UI etc) 1 x *.DVSSP (the Attachment referenced by each DVS) 1 x * DVSCC (the converted content of the sis part) That's a really really basic overview and there are lots of complex examples of how OSIS works in EV8, but SIS has definitely not gone, its more complex and far more effective than previous versions
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

cheungne
Level 3
Thanks for your reply.

But from my point of view, EV 8.0 wil be more dependent on SQL server than EV 7.5 or 7.0. For some company, the SQL server was not solely for the EV and there were many other application utilizing it. OSIS will surely add more load to the SQL server and more importantly, it created one more DB for OSIS and we were not sure of it's growing rate.
In fact, I think that the SIS originally in EV 7.5 was really nice and simple. I really hope that this feature could be implemented back to EV 8.0 (may be in later SP or EV 9.0?). Could it be co-exist with the OSIS? At least, it should allow the EV administrator to choose between SIS or OSIS during installation/configuration.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Cheungne,

If you reaqd about OSIS, you will see that it should make ev faster. The only thing need to store a OSIS part is a reference. I have my databases of EV on a SQL200864bit server, together with a lot (about 150 other) other databases. Applications, sharepoint mainly.

Ev is running as fast as it did when it ran on it's own sql (2000sp4 but still....) cluster.

Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
well to say it makes it more dependant would be an over simplification i think, for the fact that SQL is the single point of failure for EV, regardless of what version.
yes the SIS was simpler in EV2007 and previous versions, but compared to EV8 it was ineffective, the sheer space savings that EV8 has over EV2007 makes a dedicated SQL server worth the cost of implementation, what you spend on SQL server will be saved even more from storage.

Plus the real process hogs for SQL will be auditing and update shortcut locations, both of which you can turn off. with out those i can say SQL Server is as performant under EV8 as it was for EV2007
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

cheungne
Level 3
Please ignore my previous post
I understand that the new OSIS have a lot of improvement and I appreciate it a lot for Symantec to introduce this to its customers. But I just think that this may not be suitable for all customers. I just wonder if Symantec could keep the old SIS feature in latter EV version. I think that it will be the best if EV could allow administrator to choose using between SIS or OSIS during installation, instead of compulsory forcing all to be the OSIS,

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
My personal opinion is that I really can't see that happening.
Working for cloudficient.com