cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defender 365 detecting malware in a CAB/DVSSP file

Meilink-IT
Level 1

Defender for Endpoint is scanning and detecting malware on our Enterprise Vault server (Windows Server 2019, EV 14.1)

Defender detected and quarantined 'VirTool:Win32/Obfuscator.AMB' in file 'Collection69820.CAB->2015\03-18\F\099\F099004C44E1182BB4C66969414A5BF1~27~F371B949~00~1.DVSSP->DOC2015001115376112626-pdf.exe->(RarSfx)->muxtkav->AutoIT_Script->[EmbeddedEnc]'

We have been running with Defender for Endpoint for almost a year and only now it detects this on a file from 2015...

I'm wondering how to handle this? I read somewhere it is not recommended to let any antivirus run in this file location because it might wreck Enterprise Vault. But I also don't want to risk letting that malware exist.

From my knowledge there is also no way to determine which archive/user this file belongs to?

2 REPLIES 2

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi, 

You need to restore the CAB file from backup or quarantine and configure antivirus exclusions use this article for guide: Recommended list of antivirus exclusions for Enterprise Vault

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Follow the advise from Tonaco.

Not having the proper exclusions will do more harm than good. As for a possible threat in the cab/dvs files, keep in mind that if a user retrieves the item, it will be scanned on the location where it is opened. Provided ofcourse, the user is running an AV solution also. When a retrieved item is opened on a workstation, then the local AV should kick in, and then clean/quarantine or block the item. 

Regards. Gertjan