cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete from Vault button not showing in Outlook

Trond_Bronmo
Level 3
Hi,

my "Delete from Vault" button is not showing in my Outlook client. The client is installed and all the other buttons I can make appear or remove via the Desktop policy settings, but not this one.

Any Idea why?

This is Enterprise Vault 6.0 SP3

Thanks,

Trond
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I am not dev, but here is a shot.

The EVExtendedSettings.XML file has this in it:

So 0 is hide both, 1 show both and 2 Menu Only. The default numeric for the XML is 1, That may be why it shows that in the GUI.

I think the table you want to look at is ExtendedSetting. The SettingsType table is referenced by ExtendedSetting, but the actual setting are contained in ExtendedSetting.

I have a lab that I just created and have not modified the desktop settings. By default the option on site settings was not checked to allow users to delete, so I checked, got the prompt to synch, so I synched. When I lauched Outlook still no button. SOooooo, I deleted extend.dat and re-launched Outlook and bam, my delete button showed.

I did not change any desktop settings, only checked the box and deleted extend.dat. After that initial time it behaved as expected when I check or uncheck the box.

My theory would be that something isn't updated corretly in the extend.dat to allow the plug in to show the button and that making a change like Lee suggested is enough to force it to update. It might have to due with the default being show both. Maybe the default should be to not show and then when you make the big change it will cause the update to occur correctly.Message was edited by:
Tony Sterling

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Since you know where the Desktop section of the Policy is I'm assuming you've already played with "Show Delete Button". If that's the case, are users allowed to delete items from vault? Site Settings, General tab. Check that.

Lee Allison
http://ev-blog.blogspot.com/

Trond_Bronmo
Level 3
You're right the users where not allowed to delete, but it does not help give them the permission..

I have syncronized and tried removing/adding other buttons. Works fine.

Still no delete from vault button.

Trond

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Trond, I had the same thing in my lab as you. All other buttons behaved fine, but even though "Delete from Vault" Button Visible was set to "Show Both" neither one was showing. I had to set the option to "Menu Only", re-synch, restart services, then check to ensure that the menu option was there (it was) then change the setting to "Show Both" and resynch. Now I see the button.

It sounds like the initial setup value for this option is "Hide Both" even though the GUI says "Show Both".

Try this and let me know if it works.

Lee Allison
http://ev-blog.blogspot.com/

Trond_Bronmo
Level 3
Of course it worked. You're good!

Trond

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Glad to hear that nailed it Trond.

Now the question is does someone have an untouched installation that's evidencing the same behavior? If so could you go into the Directory database and check the SettingType table, should be line 14. Is the setting actually 0?

Trond_Bronmo
Level 3
Well, I have a demosystem where I am pretty sure I have not tampered with any of the desktop settings, and this query:

Select settingtypeid, settingname, settingdefaultnumeric
from Settingtype
where Settingdisplayname like '%Delete from Vault%'

returns:

settingtypeid settingname settingdefaultnumeric
------------------ ------------------------ ---------------------
14 DeleteBtnVisible 1

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Hmmmm, that 1 means 'Show Both' I do believe. That's interesting, I wonder where the hell the GUI is getting this setting then? Definitely a head-scratcher. If any dev's are reading this maybe you could chase it down?

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Devs?

*pin drops*

micah

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I am not dev, but here is a shot.

The EVExtendedSettings.XML file has this in it:

So 0 is hide both, 1 show both and 2 Menu Only. The default numeric for the XML is 1, That may be why it shows that in the GUI.

I think the table you want to look at is ExtendedSetting. The SettingsType table is referenced by ExtendedSetting, but the actual setting are contained in ExtendedSetting.

I have a lab that I just created and have not modified the desktop settings. By default the option on site settings was not checked to allow users to delete, so I checked, got the prompt to synch, so I synched. When I lauched Outlook still no button. SOooooo, I deleted extend.dat and re-launched Outlook and bam, my delete button showed.

I did not change any desktop settings, only checked the box and deleted extend.dat. After that initial time it behaved as expected when I check or uncheck the box.

My theory would be that something isn't updated corretly in the extend.dat to allow the plug in to show the button and that making a change like Lee suggested is enough to force it to update. It might have to due with the default being show both. Maybe the default should be to not show and then when you make the big change it will cause the update to occur correctly.Message was edited by:
Tony Sterling

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Good detective work, Tony! Now slap those tea-drinking Brits and tell 'em to get to work! :)