cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Mailbox Archives - Reduce archive space used?

RonK
Level 4
If I delete mailbox archives, does EV go through a cleanup process of the vault partitiion?  For example, if I delete 100GB of mailbox archives, will I see an additional 100GB on the Windows drive partition?

Thanks

Ron
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes, when you delete an Archive EV will remove the entries in the partition and the indexes will also be removed.

However, if the items are shared the process does not remove the entries from the partition but will instead update the database to denote there is one less sharer.

Regards,

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes, when you delete an Archive EV will remove the entries in the partition and the indexes will also be removed.

However, if the items are shared the process does not remove the entries from the partition but will instead update the database to denote there is one less sharer.

Regards,

RonK
Level 4
Thanks Tony

I hope to see the results that you indicate will happen.

Ron

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Ron,

in addition to what Tony said. Yes if you are storing your vault partitons on an NTFS volume or NAS share.
BUT

If you store on a Centera device the answer could be ...MAYBE

on a Centera the data is stored in C-Clips and each C-Clip can contain many files or email. When an itens that is stored on Centera is deleted from EV the item is marked for deletion within the c-clip but the file or email ramains intact on the centera until all items within the c-clip are marked for deletion then Centera deletes the c-clip

So if you are using a centera for storage you may not see much of a decrease in the amount of data stored because of the above reason

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Also if you have collections enabled then maybe not as we will not delete the CAB file and unpack the remaining DVS files until we hit a certain level.
We actually just change the ref count in
Can't remember what that is off top of my head. SO similar behavior to what Liam is stating from a centera perspective

RonK
Level 4
Yes.  I already have collections enabled. 

So, are you saying that if I delete 100GB of archive data that I will not see 100GB additional space on the Windows drive partition?

Currently, I have a Vault Store over 1.4TB on a Windows drive partition. I am looking at reducing it in size below 1TB.

Ron

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Ron What's the reason for this 1 TB limit? No, you probably won't see 100 GB additional space. Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Yes you may not get all the space back because collections are enabled. You might get the majority of the space but you are not guranteed to get it all.

RonK
Level 4
We are putting in a NetApp Fas solution.  A 3000 controller in the primary site, and a 2000 controller in the colo.  To mirror and take advantage of dedupe between the two different controller systems, we have to limit the volumes to 1TB.  The 2000 controller won't dedupe volumes larger than 1TB.

Also, I was just freaking out realizing I have a Mail Vault Store over 1.4TB.

Do you guys suggest closing the current partition and creating a new one?  Or creating a new Mail Vault Store and partition?

Thanks

Ron

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes, close the partition, but do not create a new Vault Store.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

RonK
Level 4
Thanks Michel

Ron

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
In our environment we keep all data for 6 years

We journal our email and also do FSA

Each year we create brand new vault stores every year so we seperate each years vault year by year

RonK
Level 4
For email journal, we do have a separate vault and keep just 90 days.  But for email, we keep forever at the moment.

Ron