cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deletions in the Archive

Carmila_Fresco
Level 4
Unfortunately, we've been told to allow deletions in the archive. I'm not too thrilled about the idea but I have been over ruled.

Does E-Vault have some sort of a dumpster just in case users delete stuff by accident? When does it actually delete the items from the archive? If a shortcut has been deleted, does it automatically delete it from the archive? Or does it still keep it if the shortcut has not been purged from exchange?

If there is no dumpster, what is the process of restoring the messages back into the archive from backups? I saw some stuff about auditing deletions. I'd appreciate it if someone can point me to the direction of a docu or something.

Thank you! I'd appreciate any info.

Cheers,
Carmila
9 REPLIES 9

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Carmila,

take a peek at:

http://pub28.bravenet.com/forum/2381205959/show/623671

and:

http://pub28.bravenet.com/forum/2381205959/show/629792

does that help?

David

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Carmila,

do you need more info?

David

Carmila_Fresco
Level 4
David,

Based on the replies, it does not look like there is an easy way to get the archived messages back.

I guess I just have to make it clear with my users that delete is delete and they cannot get it back.

Thanks,
Carmila

David_Messeng1
Level 6
It does warn them quite well when they hit the button... but you are right. the technical term is "pants".

The new EV6 client intercepts the "normal" Outlook delete (i.e. pressing the keyboard key as opposed to having to use the toolbar button) if the item is a shortcut and prompts the user to see if he wants to delete the vaulted item as well as the shortcut. This is kinda helpful I guess (if you have to delete Vaulted items).

Carmila_Fresco
Level 4
David,

Will I be able to use collections if I allow deletions to the archive?

Thanks,
Carmila

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Other way round. If you use collections then you can't delete from them. Same as if you flag a Partition as read only (ie "Closed") then you can't delete from it either.

I'm not actually sure what happens if a user tries to delete an item stored in a RO manner. I *think* the EV operation fails and the user gets an error but you will want to check that -- or some smart alec on the Forum might know :)

I presume you must be using quotas? If you quota then I guess you have to allow users to stay within thier limits. It's a shame doing htis as it throws away a lot of the +++ factor in EV....

Oh, and your NTFS will fragment like crazy as well.

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Hi there

If you use collections you can still 'Delete' items that have been collected. At least as far as the user is concerned. EV keeps track of the deleted/expired items and when/if the amount of active items in a collection drops beneath a certain limit (percentage) then that cab will be extracted again so that only active savesets are retained.

Then those have been extracted will be re-collected in line with your collections policy, and so the cycle begins again :)

Cheers

Carmila_Fresco
Level 4
If I have single instance turned on, let's say for instance, an email was sent to a distribution group and then all members of the group are using the same vault, if for example, one user decides to delete the item from the vault, is it just going to delete the pointers and not the actual item until the last item is deleted?

Thank you for all the info. It's been very helpful.

-Carmila

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Yes. :)