Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directory Service fails to start after EV10.0.4 upgrade and Migration to 2012

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi everyone

I've upgraded an EV server which was operating as a single EV server for exchange archiving only. It was an EV10.0.1 server running on Windows 2008 R2 and I upgrade to EV10.0.4 running on Windows 2012 OR. I used the server migration wizard to complete this and had no errors during the export or import of the migration package and eveything looked to be fine.

I started the Admin service ok but when I try to start the directory service I get the following error:

Windows could not start the Enterprise Vault Directory Service. Error 1075: The dependancy service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

There are no errors in the event viewer or when I run a dtrace.

All the service dependances are starting ok and I've rebooted the server but no services appear to be deleted as indicated in the error.

The MSMQ service is running fina as is the Admin service itself

The error and MO is the same as experienced by this customer but as they gave up and reverted back to Windows 2008 I can't use that as a fix :o(

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/ev904-upgrade-ev10-sp4-windows-2012

Any thoughts or ideas greatfully received.

kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have you considered reinstalling the EV binaries?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

AndrewB

have you seen this technote?

Event ID 1075 is generated when starting an Enterprise Vault service: "The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion".

Article:TECH165646  |  Created: 2011-07-26  |  Updated: 2014-07-17  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165646

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Thanks Andrew

Yes - I did see that.

The DS only depends on two services - the EV Admin service and the Windows Event Log service. Both of these are running.

cheers

AndrewB

have you considered reinstalling the EV binaries?

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Done that too - no difference

I think it's a Windows 2012 thing  - just a guess..... firewall is off but not sure if there is anything else that I can turn off that may be scurity related

AndrewB

windows 2012 is supported but it requires EV 10 SP4. what i would do is revert back to your old server, upgrade EV on it to SP4, then follow the basic steps to move EV to a new server. (no wizard)

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

yes - That was my plan B

I didn't want to do that really and I've logged a call with Symc but if they can't come back with anything positive then I'll probably go that route

thanks

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

So after a second time of re-installing the binaries and a reboot we're all good :o)

AndrewB

excellent! i'm happy you got it sorted out!

bdk1
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I had exactly the same issue using the migration wizard to move from Windows 2008 to Windows 2012, initially it looked like there was a DCOM issue as there were DCOM errors being logged in the system event logs. I completely checked all DCOM permissions to no avail, found this post and thankfully after running the export and import again and then running an installation over the top of the existing binaries and rebooting everything came online.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Glad it was useful

I didn't actually rerun the export\import process again - just re-installed the binaries over the top on the Windows 2012 server and rebooted.

cheers

AndrewB

awesome! that's what this forum is all about.