cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Enterprise Vault have Deep archive options

gockenbr
Level 3
I'm still learning the ins and outs of the product and have a questions regarding deep archive options with EV.

We are currently running enterprise vault for journaling purposes only but are in the process of setting up mailbox archiving. I currently have only a handful of users setup for mailbox archive and all seems to be working great. Per a new policy that is being implemented shortly I am getting all users setup for mailbox archive with a 3 month old archive setting and 3months after archive deletion (basically archive anything that is at 3months old out of exchange and delete from archive after the age reaches 6months). Legal has now informed me that we need to put a hold on deletion of all email so i have set the retention time accordingly. Legal is also after me to find out if EV has a deep archive option that would allow email to still get archived to EV after the 3 months and would still disappear from the users archive 3 months after that but would remain in the archive but just get deep archived away from the end users but still be available for ediscovery that is needed.

Is this deep archive step possible? If so how? It needs to appear to the end user that their email that is over 6 months old is gone from there mailbox/archive completely but in reality we still have online in a deep archive for ediscovery purposes.

Any info on if this is possible or not would be great.

thanks,
Brad
6 REPLIES 6

NilsV
Level 3
Partner
Not to my knowledge .. but one way to achieve something like this, is prolonging the retention of your journal archive.

You can access/search through the jounal archive and since it contains all the e-mail from all users anyway, you will also find the e-mail that has already been deleted from the user's mailbox archive.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Well i think you have options

Presently you are journaling, The users have no access to the journaled data

You are mailbox archiving and the users can access this data for 6 months

Every email that is deleted in the usersmailbox is also in the journal so if you archive after 3 months and delete shortcust after another 3 months total 6 months then set the policy that the users can no longer access the data after shortcut deletion then you set a keep forever on the journal, all email in the journal will still be available for searching but not accessed by the users

gockenbr
Level 3
The thing with the journal is it's my understaning the only thing in the journaling archive is only items that have been sent/received since journaling archive was turned up. Journaling was only turned up 2 years ago so any email that was in our system before that time wouldn't be in the journaling archive. All that email prior to the 2 years ago mark is where my concern lies.

Or am I way off and the journaling account will infact pick it up when its sent to the archive?

Thanks,
Brad

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
No you are correct. 

In that case I beleive you can set the policy to not allow the users to search items after the shortcut has been deleted. 

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Brad

You are correct, journaling will not pick up old items.
To my knowledge, there is no easy way of doing what you want.

The only thing I could image is:

- Enable the user with a policy to archive everything > 1 Year, delete shortcuts. (and unlimited or desired retention)
- Disable the user
- Enable the user and assign him a NEW archive
- Switch to your desired policy
- Remove permissions to the "original" archive

This way, you can keep the archives for all data > 1 Year, and hide it from the user.
All other data is in the journal anyway.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

gockenbr
Level 3
Thanks for the answer. Although it is what I expected its rather unfortunate that there isn't a better/easier way.

I will be doing some testing along with the steps you provided above and hope for the best.

thanks again,
Brad