cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10 and Domain Migration

LTNelson
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

What would be the process to migrate EV from a single label domain (abc) to an FQDN (abc.local)?

• Enterprise Vault for Source and Destination are the same Build and Server Version: 10.0.0.1316
  • Exchange for Source Is Update Rollup 4 for Exchange Server 2010 SP1
  • Exchange for Destination Is Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP2
  • SQL Source – SQL 2008 (10.0.4)
  • SQL Destination – SQL 2008 (10.50.2500)
  • All are running some patched version of Windows 2008 R2

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Todd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dan_Strydom
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
7 REPLIES 7

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

could you please elaborate more

from a single label domain (abc) to an FQDN (abc.local)?

Couldn't get it single label??? to an FQDN ???

LTNelson
Level 3

I wouldn't expect it to be too much different if migrating from one standard AD domain to another. Maybe this will help to clarify...

- We need to migrate EV 10 from "Domain_A" to "Domain_B"

Todd

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You could just take the EV SQL and EV out of domain A and join them to the domain B. Create a new service account on domain B and configure the service acccount as if you configure EV from scratch from domain B. This way you don't need to build the new EV server and EV SQL server from domain B.

Let's forget EV for now, how are you migrating the AD users and their mailboxes between the exchange servers on the separate domains? Are you using Quest migration tools?

From what you have listed already and I suspect it is a domain acquisition etc, in this case I would suggest you use third party migration tools such as Transvault etc. is your best option.

Hope that helps.

LTNelson
Level 3

Can it be as easy as disjoining from the old domain and joining the new domain?  Will it matter if the EV Servers (in the EV console) shows a FQDN server name as opposed to just a NetBIOS server name?  What about if they use shortcuts?

The Exchange piece will be a concern but that was not my question.  Thank you.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I would suggest you setup a test environment and test the migration out, it will answer a lot of your questions above. It will be good and best practice before you do the production stuff.

When you move the EV server and the SQL server across the domain, you can take it off the old domain and join it to the new domain and then perform a few tweaks such as setting up the service account for the new domain and reconfigure EV etc. How easy it is will depend on how complicated your old and new environments are being configured. This can be done either before or after the user's AD and mailboxes moved. Provided that there is a two-way trust between the two domains of course. The FQDN and NetBIOS server name stuff you can setup DNS forwarding between the two domains and zones etc., that won't be a problem.

For a less hassle migration between two domains and a clean up of EV configuration on the new domain I would suggest using third party migration tools such as Transvault or Evolve. This will give you a chance to create and configure a new EV environment and then just migrate the EV data across between the two domains. This of course will come with the cost of the new hardware, storage etc on the new domain and the third party migration tool (this is not cheap depending on how much data yo have to migrate in terms of TB).

Dan_Strydom
Level 4

Hi

I just published a How To article on how to move EV from one domain to another. Not sure how long the publishing approval process takes here on Connect - feel free to contact me direct and I will send you the guide.

Regards
Dan

daniel_strydom@symantec.com

Dan_Strydom
Level 4