cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 6.0 and MIgration

Ulf_Thomas_Joha
Level 3
Hi,

We're currently migrating a customer from E2K to E2K3 using Move Mailbox.

This means that for a given period of time we'll be running two Exchange servers, and the customer wants to utilize EV to shrink the amount of data that needs to be moved.

Question being: When a user is moved to the new server and tries to archive the item is stuck in pending it seems. The item is not replaced by the shortcut, and the icon shows the clock.

What did I miss? :)

Regards,

Ulf Thomas
7 REPLIES 7

David_Messeng1
Level 6
What's in the event log?

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Maybe asking the obvious here, but have you created a new archiving service/task for the new exchange server?

Ulf_Thomas_Joha
Level 3
Fair question, but of course the services has been created.

Regards

Ulf Thomas

Ulf_Thomas_Joha
Level 3
According to the event logg it seems like the item is not even archiving. The following can be read in the Application Log:

ID: 3231
Could not get a MAPI session from the session pool.

Error: <0x80040700>
Service: Enterprise Vault Archiving Service for SRV12STP
Additional Information:
Method: ArchiveItemV35()

ID: 2270
A queued operation exceeded the retry count and has been discarded

Enterprise Vault Archiving Service for SRV12STP

m_pIArchivingAgentV35->ArchiveItemV35(ClientID = "",
TransactionID = "98E79854117240899271D846231478B",
m_pIArchivableItem,
ArchiveID = "10538734AFFDDF64792D6DCDAC33151D11110000vault",
m_pILocation,
m_pIShortcutAccessor,
ExchangeSystem = "NEWSERVER",
RetentionCategory = "119D80A7741B7994AAD3EB4BFE2AB1CB01b10000vault",
NULL,
nRetryCount = 3,
NULL,
CallerSID,
isARearchive = 0,
CallerIsAdministrator = 1);

HRESULT: 0x80040700

ID: 3174
An ArchiveMarkedItems request has failed. Not all of the messages could be returned to their original state. These messages will remain as pending archive in the users mailbox.

Mailbox: /o=DOMAIN/ou=DOMAIN/cn=Recipients/cn=USER
Folder: Innboks

Error: <0x80040700>Message was edited by:
Ulf Thomas Johansen

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
This looks like the good old issue with mapi not being able to resolve the EV system mailbox (0x80040700 =MAPI_E_AMBIGUOUS_RECIP)

There are two ways you can get around this:
1. Either rename your existing EnterpriseVault-SvrName mailbox to something like SVRname-enterprisevault and repoint your service to use this mailbox. (Archiving Task Properties for that server - Settings - Change System Mailbox)

2. If you are comfortable with SQL then amend the SystemMailbox Column entry in the ArchivingRetrievalTask Table in the EV Directory DB to be the smtp address of your system mailbox instead of the displayname (E.g.---SMTP:evsysmbx@domain.com) (and SMTP: needs to be in the field as well)

Try it and let us know

Cheers

David_Messeng1
Level 6
MAPI is CRAPPI. Here's the EV gen:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273298.htm

Can I ask my stupid question now? When we run out of MAPI pool we reboot! Have you rebooted ;)

MAPI leaks so you should think about a restart of any MAPI related services regularly (every day for us!) (I admit the evidence is flaky so it is your preference but we go to RO mode for backup anyway) and do expect the odd reboot of an EV server.

Alias ambiguity : if EV has to try to connect and we tell it to use an alias of EV01 but there is another alias is the Address Book called EV01a then it doesn't know which one to use so being clever it won;t use either... SMTP:EV01@yourdomain.com is the soltution for this and I'm mostly sure it's documented somewhere (in the help?)

David
http://www.UDStech.com

Ulf_Thomas_Joha
Level 3
Not often I'm being assisted by a ghost. :)

Worked perfectly, thanks man.

Regards,

Ulf Thomas