cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recreating Shortcuts

Paul_Daley
Level 5
Hi all,

Having performed a number of PST migrations, I'm now finding that user's mailboxes are overlimit because of the shortcut content.

So now I've modified the shortcut content to use less space. Is there any way to go through someones mailbox and recreate the shortcuts in the new format? (The original PST files have been deleted!)

Cheers,

Paul.

- Yes, I know that deleting the shortcuts would solve the problem but the business don't want this. Also I'm trying to avoid making archive explorer available as I hear this is slow.
7 REPLIES 7

Mike_Dowling
Level 4
Aside from restoring the items fully into Exchange, then re-archiving them using the new shortcut content settings, I don't think there's anyway you can do this. I could be wrong though...

__Drache__
Level 3
Mike is correct. Restoring and re-archiving is about the only option here. The situation becomes even more fun if the users have moved their shortcuts around at all.

On the plus side, there are supposed to be performance improvements with Archive Explorer since it was first introduced. I believe those improvements were incorporated in V5 SP5, although I'm not 100% sure.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
We throttled our shortcuts back to 100 characters and no recipient information. Users aren't happy but shortcuts on a large DL could easily reach 50k. Stupid when we were archiving all messages... It's easy to end up with a 1k message that produces a 4k .DVS file and a 10k shortcut!

I have code that allows user to delete all his shortcuts older than x months if you want it.

Glenn_Martin
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I don't have anything to add to the resolution thread. I just wanted to echo the fact that some of our business also aren't happy to lose the shortcuts. The argument is that in effect their folder structures represent their own categorisation or meta data about the messages contained in the folders. This means they can find relevent mesages quicker than searching (well some of the time perhaps). I like the idea that David has with a tool to allow users to remove shortcuts though you can also do this with OL2003 smart folders.

However, in many cases I think the user isn't bothered about losing shortcuts but as the policy can't provide such granular control we end up having to leave shortcuts for everyone. So yet another wake up call to product marketing (who I hear you ask....understandable too because as they don't seem to talk to end users such as us) but anyway perhaps they'd like to think of a solution to improve the options for managing shortcuts.

Glenn

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Of course the -- right thing to do -- is to allow users to move stuff around in Archive Explorer, non? No need for shortcuts at all then?

Glenn_Martin
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Indeed to be able to move shortcuts within Archive Explorer is the Golden Fleece that we're all in search of. I'm meeting a product marketing bod in December so will obviously take every oppertunity to voice my wish list. Actually.....perhaps that's an idea.....why not start a thread called Wish List, I know this isn't what the forum was intended for but then where else can we (as a group of like minded customers) speak with one voice. I suppose of course we can echo the list at http://www.udstech.com and http://vaulted.blog.co.uk

Here's to a happy 2006 with all our gripes answered and all our problems solved.
Glenn

David_Messeng1
Level 6
I think a wish list is a good idea and it seem to me to be enitrely consistent with what a Forum like this should be there for. I was going to create a mini-poll for it but your idea is probably better.

I'm off to do it now! :)