cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV - NetBackup Integration - Migration

kpapreck
Level 4
Partner

I am looking to migrate closed journal partitions to tape via the Migration process in Enterprise Vault to NetBackup Tape Media.  I did not enable collections on these partitions.  Is there a way to go back and enable collections on a closed partition or what should I do to migrate the closed partitions to NetBackup Tape Media?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I believe so, I don't have an Admin Console in front of me but just take a look at yours.

Here is the blurb about Closed Partitions from the install and config guide:

About Closed Partitions
When a partition is closed, Enterprise Vault stops writing new information to that closed partition. Enterprise Vault may still modify the items that are on the closed partition.

Note:
 A closed partition can increase in size and needs to be backed up.

Enterprise Vault modifies a closed partition for the following reasons:

Deletion.Enterprise Vault modifies the partition if users delete items from their archives.

Storage Expiry. Enterprise Vault deletes items from archives when their Retention Periods expire.

Collections. The Enterprise Vault Collector continues to run on a closed partition.

Collections are required on closed partitions because the collection process removes the temporary files that are created when users view archived items.

Pending Items. Items that are in a pending state before the partition is closed result in writes to the closed partition.

If a closed partition is likely to be modified, we recommend that you continue to perform regular backups of the closed partition

If a closed partition is never modified you do not need to perform regular backups. You can perform a final backup of the partition and then remove the partition from your backup routine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling

Yes, look on the properties tab of the partition.  You will see a collections tab, from here you will be able to enable collections.

You can refer to this technote:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/326427.htm

kpapreck
Level 4
Partner

Can you enable collection of a closed partition?

TonySterling

I believe so, I don't have an Admin Console in front of me but just take a look at yours.

Here is the blurb about Closed Partitions from the install and config guide:

About Closed Partitions
When a partition is closed, Enterprise Vault stops writing new information to that closed partition. Enterprise Vault may still modify the items that are on the closed partition.

Note:
 A closed partition can increase in size and needs to be backed up.

Enterprise Vault modifies a closed partition for the following reasons:

Deletion.Enterprise Vault modifies the partition if users delete items from their archives.

Storage Expiry. Enterprise Vault deletes items from archives when their Retention Periods expire.

Collections. The Enterprise Vault Collector continues to run on a closed partition.

Collections are required on closed partitions because the collection process removes the temporary files that are created when users view archived items.

Pending Items. Items that are in a pending state before the partition is closed result in writes to the closed partition.

If a closed partition is likely to be modified, we recommend that you continue to perform regular backups of the closed partition

If a closed partition is never modified you do not need to perform regular backups. You can perform a final backup of the partition and then remove the partition from your backup routine.