Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Server Settings Migration Wizard Fail Back

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

Hopefully this will be a quick question and answer.

When using the EV Server Settings Migration Wizard what is the fail back options.

I am looking at using the migration wizard for the first time and intend to move from EV 9 SP2 to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server with the same EV 9 SP2 binaries installed

Assuming we do all the preparations and take SQL backups before running the export, attaching storage to the new severs and changing DNS aliases, what happens if there are issues in the import and we need to go back? What are the processes available?

Is it just a matter of reattaching the storage to the original servers, redirecting the DNS aliases back to the original servers and restoring the SQL databases.

Does anything change on the source server

Thanks In advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When you create the Export package it will disable the services.  You don't want to run it in production unless you are ready to go so definetly walk thru it in your lab first. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It depends where you get to... but a good starting point is to undo all that it is likely to have done, by reversing:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55377

Working for cloudficient.com

TonySterling

On the source server all the services will have been set to Disabled, so you would need to undo that. Other than that, I think you have it covered.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Question:

Is it just a matter of reattaching the storage to the original servers, redirecting the DNS aliases back to the original servers and restoring the SQL databases.

Yes, That should be it.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Be carefull with that, if the databases are already touched during the upgrade, you should restore them first !

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes that is what I would have thought. As long as the databases are restored it should be good to go.

Good point about the services being disabled  after the export

Is it possible to perform a pre export before the real one is done, or will it disable the services at the end of the export.

I see I am gong to have to do this in my test VMware environment to fully understand what it is doing

SP

TonySterling

The original poster already covered that in his post.

TonySterling

When you create the Export package it will disable the services.  You don't want to run it in production unless you are ready to go so definetly walk thru it in your lab first.